Author Topic: was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum  (Read 16784 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2017, 02:27:41 PM »
Roy,my wife makes bread pudding every 2 weeks for my son in law and 2 G children,they say they look forward to it when we visit on the Sat morning
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

frederick

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2017, 03:19:44 PM »
I think there would be a lot of moning and I know my rights if we had to suffer retionong again.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2017, 04:10:53 PM »
I don't know as I wasn't around at the height of rationing only arriving at the end if it, but I assume there were quite a few moans and "I know my rights"  at that time. There certainly was in the early 50's before it ended as I can remember. There was also quite a lot of complaint in the 70's when there was talk even to the point of issuing ration books because they though petrol was going to be rationed.

It's my opinion that there is no difference between the people of today and the people of yesterday, and there are plenty of people around that have no chance of living a millionaire lifestyle. Also if rationing was brought back tomorrow as during the last world war it would make no difference to those with money they would simply resort to the black market again and use resources not available to the ordinary people of this country.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »
Phil no one is wishing the children of today the things we as kids had to put up with during and after the war,and before in some cases.The thread is just making a comparison.The kids of today don't know what to do anyway,they think everything ought to be handed to them on a plate.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2017, 05:02:52 PM »
Phil no one is wishing the children of today the things we as kids had to put up with during and after the war,and before in some cases.The thread is just making a comparison.The kids of today don't know what to do anyway,they think everything ought to be handed to them on a plate.

Yes there are those among them who fit your description as there have been in every generation since time began. There certainly were in my generation and for a time I was probably counted as one of them. We all have to grow up and toe the line as most of us generally do.

If not we end up either on the street, in prison or dead. Whenever I hear anybody saying that they did nothing foolish, idiotic or a bit illegal when a youngster then I immediately think that person is spinning me a line. If we don't enjoy ourselves  when young before we have responsibilities when do we enjoy ourselves?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2017, 05:29:16 PM »
I think what is being pointer out phil is that most of us kids had nothing much and most of the kids today have got every thing we have made progress in some things but what has been taken away from the kids of today is there ability  to use there minds to make things if its not in the shop then its no good  if it does not have flashing lights made sounds or has not got  a screen or you have to use energy  its to much effort
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

mikejee

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2017, 05:50:39 PM »
Not completely true Roy. Those irritating fidgets seem to have taken a lot of kijds attention, and they don't have a screen, though they are bought rather than made. Personally i cannot see what attracts kids to them, though , admittedly, I am a bit ancient

Scipio

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2017, 06:12:13 PM »

Who would want children to be brought up I such a lifestyle of poverty, need and unsanitary conditions. I am only glad that none of my children or their children hopefully will never know the harshness and realities that I underwent. Though I am sure that if it ever came about that they would be able to cope. I think this not because they are my family, but because I give modern youth more credit to succeed than it seems most are willing to give them.

Phil , as much as I agree with a lot of what you write , I have to disagree with your comments above , a lot of  of the younger people
only succeed because of what is given to them in benefits from the government of the day . Young women who are single parents are given housing more or less straight away , then of course the dole money is never enough for a lot of the out of work people (who a lot of them in my opinion don't want work) . When you question them about their lot , the blame is always left at somebodies door. I brought my kids up with the slogan "If the world kicks you in the teeth , get up and kick it back and get on with it " looks as though it done the trick .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Spud

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2017, 06:22:30 PM »
I think that some of today's gadgets [if thats the word] have just passed me by. I have a mobile Phone which my grand daughter describes as a brick and suggests that i get a new one providing it only has one button. Really I have no chance my Son In Law is an retired Electronics Design Engineer I have never seen anyone like him when it comes to Computers. My Grand Daughter has a distinction in Computer Studies and her husband works for Apple. When they all get chatting together its like listening to a foreign  language.
 Bowing  to modern times I bought  an Ipod [My second] unfortunately somehow the 20,000 tracks I loaded  disappeared overnight on Friday. Fortunately they are backed up on my Laptop. Another job for my Son in Law!!
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Scipio

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2017, 06:28:35 PM »

I don't know as I wasn't around at the height of rationing only arriving at the end if it, but I assume there were quite a few moans and "I know my rights"  at that time. There certainly was in the early 50's before it ended as I can remember. There was also quite a lot of complaint in the 70's when there was talk even to the point of issuing ration books because they though petrol was going to be rationed.

It's my opinion that there is no difference between the people of today and the people of yesterday, and there are plenty of people around that have no chance of living a millionaire lifestyle. Also if rationing was brought back tomorrow as during the last world war it would make no difference to those with money they would simply resort to the black market again and use resources not available to the ordinary people of this country.

Phil pity we haven't got fuel rationing today , what with all the 4x4 etc on the road . Plus the driving around for driving arounds sake
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2017, 06:37:11 PM »

I think that some of today's gadgets [if thats the word] have just passed me by. I have a mobile Phone which my grand daughter describes as a brick and suggests that i get a new one providing it only has one button. Really I have no chance my Son In Law is an retired Electronics Design Engineer I have never seen anyone like him when it comes to Computers. My Grand Daughter has a distinction in Computer Studies and her husband works for Apple. When they all get chatting together its like listening to a foreign  language.
 Bowing  to modern times I bought  an Ipod [My second] unfortunately somehow the 20,000 tracks I loaded  disappeared overnight on Friday. Fortunately they are backed up on my Laptop. Another job for my Son in Law!!

Oooooh look at you Spud you technofile
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy