Author Topic: was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum  (Read 16746 times)

Scipio

Re: was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »

did any one ever make a cotton reel tank like this photo

I never made one personally Roy , I remember them very well though
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2017, 09:43:58 PM »

Gerald! I think you hit the nail on the head ... while I believe corporal punishment is archaic it sure did do the job!! My bro (not the one who taught me poker) got caned at Marsh Hill boys' school... he was black & blue from it. I don't know what his offence was but he sure as hell kept the caning from our parents and swore me to secrecy never to tell them!! They both died without knowing about it. I got a slap on the legs once from Mrs. Bowyer at Gunter Road - can't remember what it was for but I was only about 9 at the time. Ahh... the good old days!! There'd be a lawsuit if that happened today - immediate suspension of the teacher etc. It's hard to get respect from today's kids. They know no one can touch them - not even their parents. I can't imagine being a teacher nowadays!

Hello Bev , just a taster about some of the teachers at the secondary school I went to , library teacher while you were seated(boys) he would twist your sideburns so much you ended up standing, another one  would have you bend over  he would  hold his  rule on its side he then proceeded too as it were slice your bottom, taking each slice slowly so you had time to enjoy the pain of each stroke . then a female teacher that used a similar method but on the edge of your fingers . Then a priest that carried a piece of hard rubber , that he used on your hands . That was the bad side Bev , but do you know if I could have those school days back again I'd love it, the friends you made etc . I tell my Gkids about schooldays being the best days , they look at me as though I've just come from another planet
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2017, 11:28:48 PM »
Scipio today's school days will never be as good as ours,
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

jamesm

« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2017, 07:44:20 AM »

Hello Bev , just a taster about some of the teachers at the secondary school I went to , library teacher while you were seated(boys) he would twist your sideburns so much you ended up standing, another one  would have you bend over  he would  hold his  rule on its side he then proceeded too as it were slice your bottom, taking each slice slowly so you had time to enjoy the pain of each stroke . then a female teacher that used a similar method but on the edge of your fingers . Then a priest that carried a piece of hard rubber , that he used on your hands . That was the bad side Bev , but do you know if I could have those school days back again I'd love it, the friends you made etc . I tell my Gkids about schooldays being the best days , they look at me as though I've just come from another planet
Scipio
[size=78%]Looking at your comments brought back memories of the various instruments/weapons that were used in my secondary school. Bits of chalk and blackboard rubbers were commonly thrown at pupils in class, one science teacher carried a knotted, rubber tube from a bunsen burner which was used quite frequently. Games teacher demonstrated various cricket strokes with a bat but using offending pupil's backside instead of a ball. Woodwork teacher could always lay is hands on a piece of dowling and the metalwork teacher used a "T square" to administer a beating. Only got beaten once(with the bunsen burner tube) never went back for more[/size] :-\

Scipio

« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2017, 10:59:52 AM »

Scipio
[size=78%]Looking at your comments brought back memories of the various instruments/weapons that were used in my secondary school. Bits of chalk and blackboard rubbers were commonly thrown at pupils in class, one science teacher carried a knotted, rubber tube from a bunsen burner which was used quite frequently. Games teacher demonstrated various cricket strokes with a bat but using offending pupil's backside instead of a ball. Woodwork teacher could always lay is hands on a piece of dowling and the metalwork teacher used a "T square" to administer a beating. Only got beaten once(with the bunsen burner tube) never went back for more[/size] :-\

Good Morning All, just read on Yahoo it seems they are going to try and stop collisions at rugby in schools . I remember our History
teacher Mr Powell , he was a Welshman that loved his sports, with rugby being one of them , if you fancied a game after school you played it on the grit playground not the grass . He was a great teacher it was only later in life , I noticed his mannerisms were not unlike
Heinrich Himmler the way he used to walk around and study his surroundings. He was always good for a yarn though during History.
Mark Twain

Bev K

« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »
Hi Guys!! Hope all are well. Thanks for the refresher about the corporal punishments that are no longer considered apt for the youth of today - what a [censored]' larf! And I must say I Had to smile about the account of the rugby game being played on the gravel - sigh!! I remember playing field hockey at good ol' Marsh Hill & my friend Judy in the goalie spot was struck in the forehead by that super-hard ball, knocked her out for a good 10 seconds - it didn't faze the teacher at all. Poor kid got up & wobbled back to school - end of story!! ???

Bev K

« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2017, 01:35:21 PM »
Hey Roy - I just read your post about the crystal radio - awesome story. Thanks for sharing. What did you grow up to be??? Just curious. You sound very resourceful and were kind to your mum too!

Spud

« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2017, 02:13:30 PM »
I got a couple of beatings this would be in the lat 40s & early 50s . The first time for fighting in the playground funny thing is the lad I fought became one of my best friends for life. Six strokes of the cane for that misdemeanor. Then in the Seniors another 6 this time with one of those blackboard rulers for lobbing a piece of wood on to a bench in a woodwork class. Don't suppose it did me much harm but today I would not like to think any son daughter or grand child should be beaten.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy