Author Topic: was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum  (Read 16770 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum
« on: December 11, 2006, 10:40:08 AM »
was you a kid in the 50s and 60s in brum did you like school did you wag it if so what did you do all day where did you go did the school board man get ya  did you get the stick and why could you read and add up when you left school did you play in the street what games did you play what was your first job how much did you get paid and how much did you give your mum  will you name your schools and what did you think of them are you in the uk still or are you over seas have you been back to the uk do you miss brum at a later date i might do a thing on brum about brum kids but for now let us all know  how did you get to work   thanks roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Jacqueline

Re: was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 02:10:53 PM »
Crumbs, so many questions in one post. ;D

Okies i was born 1955 and attended Stirchley Juniors then Selly Park Girls...now selly park tech colledge with awards and one of the best in the country!!!

Yes i played the wag and hung around the bull ring. I was 15 and had two girls aged 12 with me so when the [censored] hit the fan i took all the blame.

I did quite well at secondary school ofen second in most exams and once first. I think i have degenerated and became thick in older years. ;D

My first job was in the offices at Woolworths in Kings Heath. I had to empty the tills on the shop floor and then TRY to make a near total in the office. Some days it worked right.

Had many jobs after that, they were easy to get in the 70's.

Graham

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:30:41 PM »
Roy, you're asking the story (a third) of my life! :o

When I have a few hours with nothing to do I'll reply. Watch this space.

Graham.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 05:51:10 PM »
yes it is a lot to askbut if ya don!t ask ya don!t find out and it might make ya think how lucky we are now to how we was when we where kids    like getin the stick  smoking round the back of the sheds haveing a fight if you was a sod  did ya get a slap on ya asss

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 01:05:47 PM »
Yes I was born (1954) in Brum, spent the first few years of my life living in a back house in Cowper street which I think has long gone under the bulldozer.  I went to Cowper street infants and junior school, used to play out in the street and remember the gas lamppost at the bottom of the entry!  There was a fire and explosion in a workshop or scrapyard in Cowper Street (around 1960 I think?) I remember being burnt from the stuff falling out of the sky from the explosion and having to go to hospital along with my sister (we got our pictures in the newspaper!) But over the years I have lost any record or knowledge of the events then.  Does anyone else know or remember anything about that incident?  I would really love to know.  Very soon after that my mom and my dad split up and my sister and I left Birmingham along with my mother for a better life in the countryside.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 05:19:37 PM »
hi kev  yes like most of us brum kids it was two up and two down tin bath in front of the fire gas lamps out side and gas lights in side to and a bog for about six of ya out side and cut up news paper on a nail in the door there all ways seemed to be a yard at the back of the houses that you played in and the washing lines and your mum took it in turn to use the brew house light a fire under the boiler good times or bad not sure

Bootneck

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 07:32:24 PM »
I remember as a kid cycling down the old Bull Ring, you could safely in those days, anyway I pulled up at the lights junction of Moor Street and a big American car pulled up alongside me, I looked in and was amazed to see Randolph Turpin at the Wheel, he smiled and gave me the thumbs up, I am still talking about it 50 odd years later.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 08:39:57 PM »
bootneck
               to see a yank car was something in its self at that time i think it was about 1954 or 55 not sure that brum was starting to change and a lot of yanks had been in england in the war years and some were coming back and they had lots of dollars to spend some even had there big cars with them i was lucky if i had shoes on my feet(lost my dad) but mum made ends meet but looking back now i know the difference from need to want and i think to day kids want more than need
i went down the bull ring on a skate sat on an old dart board it went well  im going to see how old you are lolo do you remember the big bomb out site the steps to the fish market at the top of the bull ring?

Graham

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 10:15:25 PM »
Bootneck, I don't know how old you are, it doesn't matter.

On an earlier thread I asked if anyone could remember the wooden cobbles on the hill going up the Bull Ring, no one replied.

Now I'm 63 and I can remember riding up the Bull Ring on my bike, over the very worn wooden cobbles in the pouring rain, with the water running down the little Grand Canyons, capped with remnants of tar, worn out by years of horses with their carts and rain. It was a real struggle for me on my old bike, one with those rod brakes, that never stopped you, and a three-speed Sturmy Archer hub that was stuck in top gear. When I reached the top I felt like Hillary must have felt when he first conquered Everest.

Later in life I conquered many mountains and obstacles, but that one remains most vivid.

Bootneck

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 10:19:03 AM »
Roy and Graham
I have only just discovered this site and am amazed by the number of subjects covered, Roy you refer to the Fish Market in the Bull Ring I believe it was called The Market Hall, I now in a village just north of Lincoln and across the road from me lives another Brummie, she was in the ATS during the war and was on leave and in the Bull Ring the night of the air raid that took the roof of The Market Hall, she was sheltering down on the steps of the ladies toilets and the blast blew her back down inside.
Graham your memory of the Bull Ring is very good, do you remember the lady who used to shout "Handy Carrier". My first proper bike was a Stallard I bought from a shop on Stratford Road, incidentally do you remember Raymond Perkins I think he used to live in Leamington Road, he was in my class at Dennis Road.
Regards.

Graham

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 04:21:45 PM »
Bootneck, I can't say that I do remember Raymond Perkins, he may have been older or younger than me, hence.

I do remember well the 'bag lady' shouting "handy carrier!", just the sight of those words takes me back in time and I can even smell the 'Bull Ring'. I bought my first new bike, a Hercules Harlequin, from Rogers Cycle Shop on Stoney Lane. See photo.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy