Author Topic: was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum  (Read 16734 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 04:35:02 PM »
bootneck
              i did put that in a thread some weeks back about the old lady shouting Andy Andy carriers  she must have been the first bag lady lololo she was by the steps to the fish market and if you look back you'll see wedensday in the bull ring when i was a kid i used to do the tea run for the traders i use to get all sorts given to me to take home to my mum plus a few coppers i do not know if you can remember the spives with their case selling all sorts a copper would come and they would be gone and by the 50 bus stop there was pimms they had all sorts in there dogs cats fish snakes  a few years later a place called the slowboat opened that was the first Chinese food shop
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

sailor

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 09:16:45 PM »
i would have been about 10 yrs old,
and i was a roy rogers and trigger fan.
roy came to brum in the 50s and i
saw him and his wife dale evans in bradford st.
they wre sitting in a big car outside the (now defunct)
birds custard factory.
i spoke to him and he actually replied!
his wife got out of the car and was very nice to the
kids around their car.
my real favourite though was his screen sidekick
gabby hayes!!!

sailor

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 09:28:30 PM »
john 2000
yes times were hard john,
but on the whole we were reasonably happy
times as things were,
because we were all pretty well poor people
were a lot closer.
we tended to be a bit better off than the neighbours
but my sister june (who i lived with) always shared
with her friends in our yard.
oh for some of those values in these desperate days
the rules in those days had to be obeyed (or else)??

brummylove

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 06:32:44 PM »
I was born in 1961 in Yardley, we moved to druids heath when I Was about 8. I went to sir Theodore school then onto maypole comp. I remember playing British bulldog, hop Scotch, and a game with a ball in a sock and you played against a walk. I remember playing Conker's and of course kiss chase.we went swimming at kings heath baths, and when mom and dad fancied spoiling us we went to tudor grange.my first job was at the buav in wythall. I earned £ 16 per week they had a raise to £18. I gave mom £4 keep. I went to the bullring market every Saturday , I was robbed once. I felt sorry for a pup in a cage once so I brought him...I didn't like school very much.. I moved away to Dorset in 1977. Great memories of brum while growing up....glad I live down south now.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 08:20:32 PM »
I was born in 39 had good times in my childhood ,moved to Kitts Green in 49 went to Lea Village school,in the school Hols used to go tatter picking out Coleshill way,used to get there on the back of a Lorry .Good job H & S weren't around
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Scipio

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »

I was born in 1961 in Yardley, we moved to druids heath when I Was about 8. I went to sir Theodore school then onto maypole comp. I remember playing British bulldog, hop Scotch, and a game with a ball in a sock and you played against a walk. I remember playing Conker's and of course kiss chase.we went swimming at kings heath baths, and when mom and dad fancied spoiling us we went to tudor grange.my first job was at the buav in wythall. I earned £ 16 per week they had a raise to £18. I gave mom £4 keep. I went to the bullring market every Saturday , I was robbed once. I felt sorry for a pup in a cage once so I brought him...I didn't like school very much.. I moved away to Dorset in 1977. Great memories of brum while growing up....glad I live down south now.

Welcome Brummylove , what was buav and what year were you earning £16 pw
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

brummylove

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »
It was , is an animal rescue centre. It must of been 1976 when I left school, age 15 that I earned £ 16 per week. It was cash in a wage pack. Good ol  days.

Scipio

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 09:03:56 PM »

It was , is an animal rescue centre. It must of been 1976 when I left school, age 15 that I earned £ 16 per week. It was cash in a wage pack. Good ol  days.

Have you retired now or are you still working ?
Mark Twain

brummylove

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 09:10:52 PM »
Oh. I wish ;D  no I'm still working. We , as a family used to go on holiday to wales one week every year. Loved the seaside, always wished I could stay...well now I do....I live and work running a holiday site right by the seaside ...be careful what you wish for O0

Scipio

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 09:16:22 PM »

Oh. I wish ;D  no I'm still working. We , as a family used to go on holiday to wales one week every year. Loved the seaside, always wished I could stay...well now I do....I live and work running a holiday site right by the seaside ...be careful what you wish for O0

Good for you Brummylove, enjoying your work is the best part of winning the battle . Good luck to you
Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 07:57:59 PM »
Hi brummylove where in Wales did you go on holiday? As kids we were always heading in that direction. Used to be on motorbike and sidecar, then we had a car gearbox packed up on the way to Barmouth.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy