Author Topic: was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum  (Read 16769 times)

polly.cam

Re: was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2017, 07:50:53 AM »
We started off in a caravan holidaying. 4 kids parents and a dog. Torquay Paington was favoritites.  Wales was visited too. It always rained in Wales as i remember spent time in penny arcades which i hated still do now. My sister loved them. We graduated to boarding houses later. I dont know how it was afforded dad was only on 3 bob a week. Seems unbelievable now.

countrylad

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »
Hello Polly.cam, welcome. We did Torquay, Brixham and that area and the north Devon coast 50's/early 60's. I can remember the rain, getting up in the middle of the night to travel to holiday and traffic jams to Devon. Warned that If I asked 'are we nearly there yet' that we would turn around and go back home  :(

Dad decided to take us up and down Porlock hill on the motorbike and sidecar. Coming down was the worse with my mom shouting at my dad to 'slow down' and him shouting back 'I cant, the brakes are not very good'!

There wasn't much money about but as kids we always had a holiday every year.

Only stayed in boarding house once for holiday in Alexandra Rd, Blackpool. Four of us in one room, a sink with cold tap, the owner of the boarding house would bring big jugs of hot water in the morning to each room for washing, shared toilet on the landing. Boarding houses definitely not for me.     

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »

my life started in loveday street hospital on a warm spring day so my mom told me the first thing that comes to mind is the winter of 1947 it was the first snow I had ever seen snow it was half way up our front door and window the next thing that comes to mind    is  the kind is dead that was on the radio  that was run by an accumulator that you had to take to the shop to get it charged up about this time my dad was no more he had been in the war he had been hurt and never recovered I can just about remember him I'm sat on my moms lap and shes telling me that I'm her little man now dad gone to heaven I did not know it at the time but life was going to be hard  soon I was getting about out side on the streets playing with other kids  I soon found out that I had to stand up for my self and become street wise I had a few scraps with other kids I won a few and lost a few but we all become friends after  bombed out house become my play ground I remember starting school first day and coming home dinner time and mom taking me back mom told me I had to go to school each day  that did not go down to well with me playing was much more fun I was and still am a b/heath kid my heart is still there not much left of the old end

to be continued at a later date I soon found out how to make a few bob   
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

townie

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2017, 10:52:11 AM »
Roy was you not a one time living in Erdington?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 11:31:25 AM »
Roy was 8 in 1947. Remember the snow ,the day I remember most was when I was clearing it from my gran's front. Door my uncle Frankie who was in the Navy during the war came walking up Goodrick St with his kitbag over his shoulder he had just been demobbed ,every time I see Gene Kelly's film on the telly about the navy with Donald Oconner it reminds me of that day.They were good times.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

polly.cam

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 05:01:35 PM »
The last holiday i spent with my parents was in 63. We went to Bournmouth. My dads family had moved from Brum to the coast. I was 15 just left school started a job straight after the holiday. 'Cornhill Insurance' Bennets Hill off New St. I think there was a Lyons coffee shop at the bottom of the hill.
I delivered post up and down that hill. The lifthain the offices had concerntina doors i hated them so i walked up and down stairs.  Took me ages to deliver post. I was only there a yesr when we moved to Banbury. Met some lovely people at eork. Sometimes we went to 'Billy Ponds' ballroom dancing. Heavens knows why i never could dance but we had a laugh.  Wonder where those girls are now

GardenGerald

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 08:21:48 PM »
Hello Edmund
We had parties for  V E day  V J day  and the Coronation.  Bombs in 41  The cane in 47. Snow in 47.  All we had was nothing but what
great days we had.

In Water Orton we had a week of celebrations for the Silver Jubilee.

What have we got now Aches and Pains but far too early for a wooden over coat.
Keep a smile on your face. People will think you are happy or mad.
Gerald.

Scipio

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »

The last holiday i spent with my parents was in 63. We went to Bournmouth. My dads family had moved from Brum to the coast. I was 15 just left school started a job straight after the holiday. 'Cornhill Insurance' Bennets Hill off New St. I think there was a Lyons coffee shop at the bottom of the hill.
I delivered post up and down that hill. The lifthain the offices had concerntina doors i hated them so i walked up and down stairs.  Took me ages to deliver post. I was only there a yesr when we moved to Banbury. Met some lovely people at eork. Sometimes we went to 'Billy Ponds' ballroom dancing. Heavens knows why i never could dance but we had a laugh.  Wonder where those girls are now

Welcome Polly.com , I wonder how much of the Bennetts Hill you remember are still offices , my Mother (RIP) worked around the corner in Waterloo St , for two firms of solicitors . Cleaning at one early am , and making tea/coffee for the other, I remember that area very well .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 09:02:03 PM »
Gerald had the bonfire in the street outside our house No181,burnt a huge hole in the road council came 2 days later and filled it in ,good job it wasn't today.always try to keep a smile on my face by reading the Labour thread ;D ;D  keep well edmund
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

polly.cam

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2017, 11:01:22 AM »
Countrylad
My Uncle had a motorbike and sidecar. It was the thing to have cheap get around.
We didn't have any mode of transport so it was a coach for us to the coast. I remember the first car bought by the Murphy's where i lived in Yardley. Its was a Morris Minor very excited we all were. Everyine came out to take a look

polly.cam

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2017, 11:06:17 AM »
Scipio
I havent been back for years . Expect its really changed. I know the coffee house has gone. Bit unsure if myself on here whether i am posting replies in the right place

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy