Author Topic: was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum  (Read 16774 times)

Scipio

Re: was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2017, 08:38:52 PM »

Scipio
I havent been back for years . Expect its really changed. I know the coffee house has gone. Bit unsure if myself on here whether i am posting replies in the right place

You're doing OK Polly keep up the posting , nearly all those old buildings that you remember of  banking and solicitors nowadays are either pubs or flats ,. Funny how things change
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Bev K

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2017, 08:56:51 PM »
Hello everyone. Yes I was a kid (born in '53) and I hated "skool" (Gunter Road & Marsh Hill) and I wagged a lot in my last year or so. Nice to meet you guys!!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2017, 09:07:00 PM »
hi bev welcome to the forum make your self at home  I'm a 40s child bourn in loveday street  and yes I hated school could not wait to leave  I had better things to do than go to school I run the school board man raged in and out of the bombed out house poor chap he had a bike we had our legs we had him up and down the road like a blue ass fly  O0 O0 O0 O0
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

GardenGerald

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2017, 09:22:16 PM »
Hello Bev and Roy
We kids that lived through the war had nothing but made the best of everything.
Planning the next garden snatch for some fruit was a major role. The green plums kept you off
school for a day. If the wrong person spotted us we would take the long walk to see the
Headmaster. Mr Ian Jones was a gentleman. He would ask if we were hungry and we would
reply yes. Left hand out first and a very gentle tap and the same with the right hand.
Tell anyone that asks that you had 2 strokes of the cane and it really hurt.
It did hurt if he used it properly but non of us scrumpers ever had it. I suppose we were very lucky.

We all have good as well as bad memories.
Take care
Gerald.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2017, 11:36:36 PM »
OH Gerald,I wish the youngsters of today had lived through the times that we did,they would have been so much happier with all the dirt and washing in cold water,my GChildren never use a flannel nowerday.They wouldn't know what to do without their phones,
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2017, 07:58:06 AM »
a door step of bread and jam or bread and dripping was the order of the day that would some times be your dinner when you come home from school my mates dad  had a big tin of glue it would stick any thing to any thing when you had holes in your shoes stick a rubber patch on your shoes keep the wet out and free school dinners was a life saver most of the things we had to play with is what we made our selves and did we have fun yes we made our own fun no tv no time to sit in the house always some thing to do or to be made you might get a book for Christmas or a tin of paints and if you was lucky you had a chicken for Christmas dinner if you had sweets you made them last times was hard but to us kids we did not know any different

Scipio

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2017, 10:55:26 AM »

a door step of bread and jam or bread and dripping was the order of the day that would some times be your dinner when you come home from school my mates dad  had a big tin of glue it would stick any thing to any thing when you had holes in your shoes stick a rubber patch on your shoes keep the wet out and free school dinners was a life saver most of the things we had to play with is what we made our selves and did we have fun yes we made our own fun no tv no time to sit in the house always some thing to do or to be made you might get a book for Christmas or a tin of paints and if you was lucky you had a chicken for Christmas dinner if you had sweets you made them last times was hard but to us kids we did not know any different

Cor blimey Roy Bread and dripping for todays kids , you'd probably have to stick it into a Macdonalds bag first . I would love one right now . Did your mother ever make bread pudding ?
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
Did your mother ever make bread pudding ? no not has far has I can remember but the lady two doors away her husband was a bread man so she would make it and give it to us kids a long with bread and butter pudding in them days you could get orang juice from the welfare   that you  added water to and she had a baby so she would make some up for us kids on a hot sunny day and in return we would run to the shops for her

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2017, 12:29:21 PM »
Reading through some of the posts on this thread, I truly believe that I must have been brought up in a different town. I was born in the 1940's and I remember  far different times, we lived up to nine of us at times in a house (if you can call it that) which consisted of three rooms in it's entirety, two bedrooms upstairs and one living room downstairs.

Diseases like Polio, Ricketts, TB, Whooping Cough, Congenital Heart Disease,  and such were prevalent and every large family had their share of these diseases and other similar ones and it was only the introduction of the National Health that helped to eradicate some of these blights.

In our family (as in many others) money was practically non existent, being the oldest child I was reasonably lucky in as much as  I didn't have to suffer the ignominy of hand me down clothes that once belonged to my siblings. Food was very basic and never enough the only decent meals we ever really got being the free school meals five days a week even during school holidays. We even did a tour on Sundays (different weeks) of those Sunday Schools that did "bring your own plate & spoon" meals it didn't matter what denomination they were,  a hot meal for a few hymns was a good exchange.

I really was honestly and truly am grateful of the day it was decided that there just wasn't room for me any longer due to my age (10 years old) and I was sent to live my grandparents (shared time between both sets of grandparents) in the compared luxury of Balsall Heath & Sparkbrook.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2017, 01:26:40 PM »
And don't forget we were being rashoned upto 1954. Could younger people cope with that now in this millionaire life style that they have.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2017, 01:51:22 PM »
And don't forget we were being rashoned upto 1954. Could younger people cope with that now in this millionaire life style that they have.

Who would want children to be brought up I such a lifestyle of poverty, need and unsanitary conditions. I am only glad that none of my children or their children hopefully will never know the harshness and realities that I underwent. Though I am sure that if it ever came about that they would be able to cope. I think this not because they are my family, but because I give modern youth more credit to succeed than it seems most are willing to give them.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy