Author Topic: Kings Heath Pubs  (Read 20881 times)

cresser

Re: Kings Heath Pubs
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 07:55:49 PM »
I used to use an `off the beat` Kings Heath pub, called the Mountaineer, now closed, and I remember a few years ago we had a relief manager take over for a short while, and he asked if we knew where he could get change for the till. Well we did TRY to help by telling him to get onto Brandwood Rd, turn left onto Woodthorpe Rd and at the end, go right and park on the `KNOB`, car park, the PO being over the road. Well apparently, the chap ended up reaching the Maypole and going along Bells Lane because he could`nt find a pub called the Knob!!. Because we had all grown up knowing the Kings Arms as the Knob, we naturally thought HE would know. He did`nt stay long!!!!
`Time and Tide Wait for No Man`... my Dad.

9teen48

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 08:33:36 PM »
Hi Cresser,

Nice story!  Was the Mountaineer on Dawberry Fields Road ?  I used to go to a pub around there at lunchtimes in the late 1960s and I can't remember the name of it.

Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 09:29:41 PM »
Brian

If the Mountaineer is the one I used for a short while in the 70's it was on Ashburton Rd. I heard recently that the police had got it shut down because of all the trouble.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »
I just looked this out, I think its an early photo of the Mountaineer.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 11:59:22 PM »
Phil,

That's it - I recognise the pub from your picture and when I looked at the A to Z I realised we used to go from Kings Road and Listowel Road to the pub.  That would have been 1968-69.
Thanks

Brian

cresser

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »
Hi Brian, 9teen48 & Phil47 - yep, you are all correct, the `Mount` as we called it, was opened in the early 60`s, and for very many years it was a fantastic pub, very friendly, virtually no trouble ever, you could leave your wallet on the table and it would still be there when you came back, or a mate would look after it for you. In the end though, I`m afraid it went the way of many a good pub, and attracted the wrong type of customer. I still have some great memories of the place though - they can`t take them away can they. Cheers all. Oh by the way, that picture Phil, I well remember the Mount like that, as kids we used to go into the off-licence with `returns`, there was a mirror on a corner at the back so staff could see in - when they were`nt looking - we nicked the crisps!! but don`t tell anyone will you, Ta.

9teen48

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 07:29:05 PM »
Hi Cresser,

Thanks for the info.  I do remember it as a pleasant place for a pint at lunchtime during the week.  Never went there in the evenings or at weekends though.

Cheers,

Brian

cresser

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 07:51:01 PM »
Hi 9teen48, Your welcome. I agree, it was pleasant during the daytime, but you did miss some really good nightime `sessions`, (if I can call them that). I recall the new year celebrations we used to have there, EVERYONE in fancy dress, smiles & roaring laughter all night, and no hint of any stupidness. I remember walking home, a little unsteady I admit, wearing my Dad`s WW2 Royal Navy uniform, (I`d grown a beard for that night to look something like a real matelot!), my brother wearing very little and dawbed in green stage paint !!!!, and his wife done up as a clown. We were stopped by an officer of the law, and he asked us what we had been upto??, I won`t repeat here the rest of the conversation.

9teen48

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 10:03:12 PM »
Hi again Cresser,

Sounds like you had some good times.  It's a shame things have to change isn't it.

9teen48

9teen48

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2009, 11:45:24 PM »
Just came across this picture of The Hazelwell.  This pub was built on the site of Hazelwell Hall.

Whiskey

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 02:12:38 PM »
Hi All
It is my understanding The Kings Arms was called "The Knob" because of the tram terminus at Alcester Lanes End. I used to drink there in the late 70's when Sam Scott run it, his son Geoff played for the Blues.
I remember the Greyhound stadium burning down when I was a kid in the 60's. Just remember a big column of smoke & a lot of fire engines, at a guess it was about 1965ish?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy