Author Topic: KENYON STREET  (Read 6531 times)

astwood

KENYON STREET
« on: October 24, 2009, 11:41:31 AM »
Has anyone have any photos or information about Kenyon St
in the 1890s my gg grandfather William Henry Joyce was a
carpenter/coal dealer there in 1891
thanks a lot
astwood >:D

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: KENYON STREET
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 02:56:17 PM »
Hi Astwood

Hope you are feeling a little better, I had a look in my earliest copy of Kelly's that I have (1903) and there is no mention of a carpenter or coal Merchant or a William Henry Joyce. Perhaps mike who has earlier copy's of Kelly's might be able to come up with something.

This is the earliest photo I can come up with at the moment. Its Kenyon St Police Station in the 1950's.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astwood

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 03:30:17 PM »
Hi Phil
Thanks very much for the picture Im feeling quite a bit better
I have to go for another scan friday the last one didnt show
much Ive just bouht a load of credits on the 1911 census
site it keeps me occupied and away from the boozer
all the best
pete >:D

mikejee

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 05:50:57 PM »
Hi Astwood
There is no William Henry Joyce in Kenyon St in the 1890 Kellys. There are two coal dealers in 1890. Thomas Harris & Son is at 13 Kenyon St, coal dealers & bakers. He also is Landlord of the Wheel Tavern (no 16). In 1892 he is still at the Wheel Tavern, but no 13 is Thomas Harris & Son ,Baker. Bit of a mix. Timothy Dowd, coal dealer, is at no 45
In the 1892 kellys William Henry Joyce is a carpenter and coal merchant at 45 & 46,presumably taking over Timothy Dowd's business..
In 1895-1806  William Henry Joyce is a carpenter & coal merchant at 50 Kenyon St.
In 1899 William Henry Joyce is just carpenter at no 50 Kenyon st.
In 1900 he has disappeared and no 50 is a brassfounders.

What I’m pretty sure is 45-46 is marked in red and no 50 in blue on the 1890 map
Mike

astwood

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 07:41:20 PM »
Hi Mike
Thanks very much for the map and the information on
william h joyce ive just found out he died in 1896 so
perhaps the data for 1899 was a bit out of date
these directories are a good source of information
they give info between the census dates dont they
thanks again for all your help
astwood >:D

mikejee

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 09:11:45 PM »
Hi Astwood
If he died then, then it must be lazyness on the prt of kellys. i did go back & check, and it gives the same entry in the road , the commercial names and the trades section, so its not as if they forgot to delete one entry (which i have seen before - no mention in road or name, but included in the trade section)
Mike

astwood

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 10:29:29 AM »
Hi Mike
I have the same mistake in the kellys 1928 for our
farm in inkberrow it says my great grandmother
was still at the farm but ste died in 1925 it should
have said my grandfather still as ive said they are
a good tracing source in between censuses
thanks again
pete >:D

Matthew

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
Hi Phil,

Great image of Kenyon Street Police Station. I'm involved in a digital project about the Jewellery Quarter, which will be not for profit. I've been looking for an image of this station for a while. I'd be very grateful if you could give me any information about the provenance of this image. If you are the copyright holder, would you be interested in allowing use in the project?

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 08:50:05 PM »
Hi Matthew I have been asked this question a great many times about various photos. All I can tell you is that it is one of many I have collected over the years off the net. I have no idea of it's provenance or it's copyright status.

All I can tell you is that if the site I sourced it from had claimed copyright status I would not have copied it. So if you decide to use it then it is at your own risk and without permission from me as I do not have the right to give it. At least with the photos posted here if anybody claims copyright then they can be removed on proof of such a claim
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
Matthew
Not sure what sort of image you're looking for, but I have some I took  in  1969, which I'm happy for you to use , providing attribution was given. Can't put very big images on the site, but below are the very reduced versions

Matthew

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 09:21:49 PM »
Hi Mikejee,

Wow thanks, these are great images! Many thanks for your offer to use them in our project. If it's possible we'd love to use at least 2 of these - definitely the first one, 9a, and one of the others please. Yes without doubt we can credit you for the images. If you have higher resolution versions of these images, then that would be perfect.

Would it be best to exchange these by email?

Once again, thank you very much for your kind offer and I very much appreciate your generosity.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy