Author Topic: BIRMINGHAM-Greenest UK city?!  (Read 29697 times)

surg

BIRMINGHAM-Greenest UK city?!
« on: December 13, 2006, 12:29:17 PM »
Does anyone in Birmingham actually believe the city councils claim that Birmingham has more green space than any other UK city?

For the real truth click on this link !

http://www.map21ltd.com/COSTC11/arb-sheff.htm

john2000

Re: BIRMINGHAM-Greenest UK city?!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 12:36:30 PM »
Sorry mate, but its true, there is more open spaces in Birmingham than anywere else, because they have pulled down all the houses, and sent every one who ever lived there to Reddich, and now there are more brummies in Reddich that are in Brum its self. and if you dont believe me, do a head count..... ::)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 12:37:51 PM »
The city of Leeds came to my mind. I remember being lost there driving back and forth looking for Headingly [am sure the locals we asked were having fun with bad directions at our expense] ???
I noticed on a number of occasions i thought we were leaving the city and heading for the countryside. There seemed to be a number of green belts running through. Either that or was going in a compleat circle. ;D

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 02:56:30 PM »
yes brum is the greenest city in the uk with all the parks that we have got no matter where you live in brum your no more than ten minits on foot from an open space or a park and whats more they even put flower beds in the middle of the road we have got more cuts(canals) than venice and for john redditch is not full of brum kids its got a few most of them got more sence and went back to brum home is home and when iv done what iv got to do ill be one of um
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

surg

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 03:39:44 PM »
Obviously roy ben you havent clicked on the link i provided. The facts and figures speak for themselves.
Birmingham has 8000 hectares of open green space.
Sheffield has a total of over 22000 hectares of open green space with one third lying in the Peak National Park!
This, quite simply, makes Sheffield the greenest city in Europe!
Unbeatable and undeniable i think

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 04:58:52 PM »
hi ya iv been to your part of the world Meany times its just a play on words i did have a look to see what it had to say for its self if you say the inner city then brums got more open space  if you say round brum its not long before you've got open space  if not more than your part of the world having been to both. brum wins hands down sorry but its true come and spend a few days in brum and you will see for your self brum is green and its got more going for it and its friendly not hard as steel  (steel play on words sorry) roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Jacqueline

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 09:36:43 PM »
Errm do we care? We are blamed for so much so does the green thing matter? :o

surg

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 10:30:02 AM »
Sorry roy ben but this information on my link is an independent in depth report on both the positive and problematic issues in creating and preserving  green open space in a city environment.Sheffield was chosen because of its greenness and varied landscape, from high moorland to suburban ancient woodland to varied parkland and even its own miniature lake district.
For example I live in Hillsborough, in an average 3 bedroom terraced house,about 10 minutes walk from SWFC football ground (less said about that the better) in the industrial Upper Don Valley but only 5 minutes car drive to the Peak District along the Loxley Valley (the true home of Robin Hood) into Sheffield's lake district.
Sheffield has over 2 million trees within its boundaries and its even noticeable that the tree cover actually INCREASES as you head towards the city from the Peak District!
To Jacqueline I would say it matters because living in an attractive green environment is beneficial for health and well being and is thought to be one of the main reasons why Sheffield also has a relatively low crime rate compared to other similar sized cities.

john2000

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 11:10:57 AM »
You an't been nowhere. till you've been to Holtfleet..... ;D
or to the Dutch mountains in the north of Holland, where you can ski all the year round.... 8)

surg

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 02:45:44 PM »
Sheffield may not have snow all year round(thankfully) John2000 but it does have the largest dry ski slope in Europe. Here's the link.

http://www.sheffieldskivillage.co.uk/snowandrock.htm

Or alternativeley check this link.

http://www.extremesports.ltd.uk/wheretoride/sheffield-ski-village.htm

john2000

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 03:48:32 PM »
Surg, I see you've never been to the area where Jacqueline lives, where they have tree lined roads and avenue's, and where a lot of people would give their right arm to live, me included, ( if I was back in Brum) the crime rate is very low, a hospital just up the road, and a university just down the road, and in the spring the trees are full of appleblossom, there are some very nice areas in Brum and where Jacqueline lives is one of them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy