Author Topic: BIRMINGHAM-Greenest UK city?!  (Read 29700 times)

surg

Re: BIRMINGHAM-Greenest UK city?!
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 10:39:31 AM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR Birmingham - from Sheffield, the greenest city in Europe!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 12:18:19 PM »
so your back surg happy new year to you for a start we in brum will not hold it against you for living in Sheffield some one has to live there and it may as well be you ill stick to my green open space(not the bit between my ears) and the parks and look forword to the spring when brum come into bloom and i can sit in the parks on the grass(if i can find a spot with out dog s.h..t on it) and see the kids playing  you know ripping up the plants slinging stones at the ducks its such fun you do not know what your missing surg its so much like Sheffield its almost a twin maybe thats why you come back to see us its home from home lolololo just kidding surg   nice to see you back
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

surg

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 02:15:17 PM »
Don't you have doggie do-do bins in your parks roy ben?!
After all it is the 21st century.
To be more serious, the picture you paint about park life in Brum does sound like a city that has become too urbanised thereby disassosciating its populous from the natural world.
When urban parks merge seamlessly into the countryside (Whirlow Brook, Endcliffe and Bingham parks are just 3 of many in Sheffield) they are usually more successful than urban parks surrounded on all sides by mass housing.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 02:56:52 PM »
surge i was just kidding you know trying to make you smile (there ant no dogs in brum they have been eaten) once again just kidding we do very well for open space and parks and they do keep them nice its not all built up any way have a green new year we will in brum
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

surg

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 12:06:11 PM »
Its not just Sheffield that's taking great strides in promoting its greeness. Over Xmas I visited Potteric Carr nature reserve and wetland centre in Doncaster where they are presently turning 200 acres of farmland into wetland to provide increased wildlife habitat, flood protection and water purification through the extensive planting of reed beds which , in turn, attract rare birds like the Bittern. Numerous hides are provided for bird watches with a visitor centre providing information and consumables and a field centre hosting a variety of events throughout the year.

Check this link;

http://www.potteric-carr.org.uk/

surg

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 08:26:10 PM »
Hi guys. Hope you all alright in breezy, brummie, Birmingham land.
This is surg from sunny, shiny, Sheffield land. Not posted for a while as I've been mega busy. One of the things I've been doing is photographing the greenest city in europe. No, not Birmingham. Shiny Sheffield of course. Some of my shots can be seen on Google Earth but here's the Panoramio link;
http://www.panoramio.com/user/1027207
Hope you take a good look just to see what you're missing. Can't wait for spring and summer when I can shoot the city in all its green glory.
Thanks for taking a look guys.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 08:47:54 PM »
Hi surg

I liked your collection of photo's Sheffield looks well now, not like I remember with all those steel works. I suppose like Birmingham you need all those parks and green places for somewhere to spend the day now.

Its seems a pity that you used all that film, if you had saved some you could have visited a real city and took a few photo's to top your collection, you could have titled it Birmingham the city we are trying to match up to.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

surg

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 08:57:47 PM »
Phil47.
I don't know about Birmingham but we have something called digital cameras in Sheffield these days. ;)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2008, 09:29:50 PM »
surg

Sorry didn't realise you had advanced so far.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

surg

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2008, 09:46:43 PM »
Yeh. Believe it or not we have running water and something called electricity. Can't see it catching on myself.
However the roads in good old Sheff are a bit third world. It seems to be these new fangled things called cars that are doing the damage.
On a more serious note, I'm looking to come down to Birmingham to take some photos and do some research on the quality and quantity of green space in spring or summer. Can you give me some advice on where (within the city boundaries) I should go covering all points north, south, east and west.
Thanks phil47. O0

Langstraat

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2008, 10:35:16 PM »
Surg,

I see you're as controversial as ever :D
Birmingham as some good parks and open spaces. Their parks department does a splendid job each year in bringing colour to the city. The main routes into the city are decorated well with seasonally blooms and spring bulbs on most road islands.
I'm not sure whether Sutton Park would fall under the remit of 'within the city boundaries' but if you get the chance it's worth considering a slight detour before you get back onto the M42 to head back north.
Parks worth considering are Pype Hays, Handsworth, The Botanical Gardens, Cannon Hill.
The parks department are frequently commended most years at Chelsea Flower Show if you were to contact them I'm sure they will be most helpful in directing you to the best areas depending on the time of year of your visit.
Cannon Hill was the venue for many years of the garden programme whose name escapes me. ::) At present garden programmes feature the area of Bourneville, one of the first garden suburbs.
Birmingham has very well subscribed allotment sections dotted about the city with large waiting lists for plots.  The largest diverse one is in Handsworth and has been featured often on garden programmes. You can find many secluded areas by viewing the city with Google satellite.

A little further a field worth considering is Walsall Arboretum they have a flood light evening walk in the Autumn which shows off their collection of trees very well.

I hope you find some gems and share them here. O0

An amend.

If you come into the city via Spaghetti Junction you'll drive through the largest collection of Lupins in the world  :) :)
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy