Author Topic: elmdon airport  (Read 30907 times)

Andy Capp

elmdon airport
« on: November 07, 2009, 06:10:33 PM »
HI DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT YEAR DID ELMDON AIRPORT STARTED OUT WAS IT IN THE 1930S. AND WHAT YEAR DID IT BECOME BIRMINGHAM AIRPORT. ANDY CAPP

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: elmdon airport
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 06:30:10 PM »
Hi Andy

How are you keeping, Elmdon Airport was opened by Birmingham City Council on the 8th of July 1939. It was almost immediately taken over by the RAF. Birmingham Council did not regain control until the 1st of January 1960. So I imagine this is when it became known as Birmingham Airport. I think most people I know still called it Elmdon right up until the day they moved to the new site.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 06:37:40 PM »
HI PHIL
WE'RE NOT TO BAD HOWS YOURSELF. YOU REFER TO THE NEW SITE WHERE WAS THE OLD SITE NOT TO FAR AWAY I SHOULD IMAGINE. ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »
HI PHIL WERE MOST OF THE PLANES PRODUCED IN BIRMINGHAM DURING THE WAR FLOWN OUT FROM THERE. ANDY CAPP

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 06:54:34 PM »
Andy

As far as I am aware (I wasn't around at the time) most of the new planes were from out from Castle Bromwich, but I understand that some built at Longbridge were flown out for there as Longbridge only had a short airstrip.

The new site I referred to was Birmingham International which is slightly to the rear of the old airport and has new access roads. Elmdon is now mainly a goods airport I believe.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 06:58:25 PM »
HI PHIL
AM I RIGHT IN THINKING THAT THERE WAS A RAF AIRPORT WHERE THE BIRMINGHAM TRANSPORT MUSEUM IS NOW. I WONDER IF ANY WERE FLOWN OUT FROM THERE. I THINK THAT WHEN IT FINISHED AS AN RAF BASE. IT WAS USED BY THE AUSITN TO STORE SOME OF THEIR FINISHED CARS FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS UNTIL IT WAS SOLD OFF BUT I'M NOT TO SURE. ANDY CAPP

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 09:11:16 PM »
Andy

I don't know anything about that, are we talking Alvechurch way. I'll see if I can find out anything for you.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

guilbert53

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 09:32:07 PM »
HI DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT YEAR DID ELMDON AIRPORT STARTED OUT WAS IT IN THE 1930S. AND WHAT YEAR DID IT BECOME BIRMINGHAM AIRPORT. ANDY CAPP

It tends to be good manners on forums to used mixed case.

Everything in upper case looks like SHOUTING

mikejee

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:55:28 PM »
Andy
Are you talking about the bus museum. that apparently was a barrage balloon base. See http://www.wythallchurch.net/History/wasmc_raf_wythall.htm
mike

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 09:58:22 PM »
guibert53

A lot of our members are elderly and have poor eyesight. They tend to use capitals as it makes it easier to read back what they have written. We have several members that contribute in that manner. We don't look on it as bad manners or shouting.

I only point this out because I fear i will be joining them soon the way my eyesight is going.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 10:55:36 PM »
guibert53

A lot of our members are elderly and have poor eyesight. They tend to use capitals as it makes it easier to read back what they have written. We have several members that contribute in that manner. We don't look on it as bad manners or shouting.

I only point this out because I fear i will be joining them soon the way my eyesight is going.

Phil
Well said Phil lets not tittle tattle. Dek ;) ;D 8)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy