Author Topic: elmdon airport  (Read 30900 times)

astwood

Re: elmdon airport
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 11:07:40 AM »
Hi maypolemadman
Its still pretty rural around here even now ive only got to walk
about half a mile and its all country lanes and farmland just
like where i was born in the 40s in worcestershire ive got
a good local and a good bunch of mates who i have known
for years what more could a man want i dont no tommy
or his wife off hand
all the best
astwood >:D

9teen48

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 09:01:47 PM »
I remember these BCT Leyland Olympic single deckers working on the airport service. Always liked the silver strip around the lower bodywork.  Note the board at the roofline which reads "Air Service Bus - City Air Terminal and Elmdon Airport".

It seems that from 1949 Birmingham Corporation provided a bus service from a central air terminal to the airport.  Does anyone know where the city air terminal was ?

Brian

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 09:31:40 PM »
hi Andy  elmdon airport  i remember in the 50s going up the a45 i think it was and just past the airport on the main road it had a beacon light showing green and whit then if you looked over to you're left you could see the runway it had a load of r.a.f  planes in a long row  Dakotas i think  but not sure

NOW ANDY opps shouting tut tut   its been said be for about using caps some one said it was shouting well i must be deaf i car!t hear it   this is a friendly forum if ya wona uses caps then use um there is nothing in our rules that say you can not   Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

wiseman

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2009, 10:54:04 AM »
I HAVE JUST READ THE ENTIRE SAGA, MOST ENJOYABLE, HAV,ENT LAUGHED SO MUCH FOR A LEAST A WEEK, WELL INFORMED POSTS ON ELMDON AIRPORT, MY DAD MADE THE SPITFIRE AT CASTLE BROMWICH! SURPOSE THATS INTERESTING?

rOB.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2009, 11:11:56 AM »
hi wisman
                welcome to the forum  well it seems some of us have made you smile that's a good start if you have any info on this thread please feel free to add has you can see we keep it light hearted so enjoy  Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

wiseman

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2009, 12:01:42 PM »
Thanks Roy, yes my dad was a sheet metal worker, he started with Mulliners as an apprentice, then worked at Castle Bromwich and Fishers, i used to have a Morris Minor in the 60s, he did some lead loading on some of the panels, made a great job!, thought i would share this with you!!

Rob. :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

maypolemadman

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2009, 07:30:54 AM »
 Hi all  Re the caps and poor eyesight etc. My computre has  some symbols across the top and among them is the word Page....... I can click on this and get a dialogue box which enables me to Zoom in or out. I hit the Zoom in line twice and lo and behold the fine print becomes quite large and even I myself can read it quite well So no need for caps so far as I can tell ...... Re Elmdon Airprt I recall seeing heaps of Tiger Moths  there  buzzing around like flies, It was said at the time they were training Fleet Air Arm pilots there  Cheers all   

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Elmdon airport
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2009, 11:31:39 AM »
Elmdon Airport in 1939 not long after its completion. It was used at that time for 12 international flights per day. It was also the base for the Midlands Aero Club. A couple of their planes can be seen in the photo.

The Air Ministry requisitioned the airfield on September 16th 1939 and it was used by the RAF for training and also for testing Sterling and Lancaster bombers made nearby at Marston Green.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 06:53:53 PM »
This page from the 1957-58 Birmingham Post Year Book confirms that the town Air Terminal was at the Civic Centre and includes some details of the fares and services at that time.

Brian

tramp

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2009, 07:55:20 PM »
Thanks Phil,

A nice photo. That's precisely the last Elmdon I saw, and I'd like to keep it that way, so will never fly there, or pass by road - I used to get a decent long view of it from the upper decks of Midland Reds 159 & X68.

tramp

frederick

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2009, 09:25:43 PM »
my last trip past Elmdon airport was last year along the Coventry rd now a duel carriage way the time before that you used to be able to look across the airport you can't now the edge of the airfeild is all built up  :o
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy