Author Topic: elmdon airport  (Read 30908 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: elmdon airport
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2009, 10:16:50 PM »
I flew twice from Elmdon to Jersey in the late 60's and early 70's. It was still pretty basic then. It didn't tend to install much confidence in those that were scared of flying.

I was the only time I ever saw her (the wife) knock back two double brandies.

It's only a short hop to Jersey, but by the time we landed her nails were firmly implanted in my hand where she had gripped it that hard.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2009, 11:02:10 PM »
Fred,

The hell with the view - it's ''progress''.  Thanks for telling me, my memory won't be tarnished by reality.

I recently mentioned that I never thought to buy a camera until my late 30s, and when I look at a photo from Africa or wherever, it is never as evocative as a memory of another place from before I had a camara - ''the mind's eye'' in my case at least, is far clearer than any photo, whether it be the Taj Mahal or Tillingham St.  Maybe I/we consciously or unconsciously concentrate in a place without the effective ''distraction'' and post snap ''switch off''.

tramp

jimbo

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2009, 09:04:45 PM »
Hi Phil, thanks for reply re: K2 Lorries, I'm still looking! and yes I am enjoying the holiday. Regarding Elmdon Airport, do you or any other Forum Members remember the Aero Club which was situated at the end of Elmdon Lane (First Left passed the Airport turning).

In the early Seventies I frequented this place with a Mate. The Club was run by Husband and Wife, unless you were a member you could not get in, to get membership you had to be introduced by a long serving member and when accepted, your first  few visits to the club,  you had to sign in before Ten. The club was open till at least 1.00am.

It was a good place to 'Pull' as the young uns call it, the girls were rather more upmarket than you would meet at other Night Clubs in and around Birmingham. I had many a good Friday Night there.

Does any one else remember this place.

rosinae

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2010, 08:54:24 AM »
Hi fellow Brummies yes Elmdom to me was being flown over to Germany to join my hubby who was in the Army in the 60s
My couisin lives a few mins away as the crow flies from Birmingham airport and if we are in her back garden in the summer having as cuppa the planes come directly over head with there big bellys sparkling in the sunshine convesation stops till it passes a few more mins and another is over I'm glad I live in Kent
apparently the planes have got bigger and they thunder loudly overhead    but apparently our Vi and her hubby take it all in there stride and are oblivious about noise
I still get excited but our Vi will say oh thats only a small one
I aint been there when a big one as come across  if it hasppens I'll get me earmuffs out   

denise

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2010, 09:09:01 AM »
We are only a few miles away,luckily not directly under the flightpath.

I drive up and down the Coventry Road all the time and still duck when the planes fly very very low above you as they come into land  :)

brummie forever

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »
I do remember the Aero Club, I used to think my world had come to an end if I didn't go there on Friday nights. My first visit there was October 1975 and after being invited to loads of parties at Xmas I found I had made loads of friends who were all regulars. Happy Days...

frank

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »
To all on this thread. The three photos i am posting are one of me and one of me with my younger brother, and one that looks as if people are just about to board a plane. They were taken at elmdon airport by my father, i think i may have been 11 or 12 at the time so that puts the year at either 1953 or 1954. I think my father just fancied a different day out with us to the ones we normally went to on a sunday morning, which were the licky hills--canon hill park or the aquaducts. I do not know where the saying came from but all us kids used to call them the akerdocks, to get there we used to catch the number 50 bus on the moseley road to the maypole pub which was the terminus. Then we walked down the road that was to the left of the pub, then there was a lane on the right hand side to go down, i can remember that on the right hand side of the lane there was a sandpit, and at a certain time of the year you could see thousands of sand martins nesting there. Further down the lane you came to a ford that had a bridge over it that carried a canal, i also remember a pub on the canal towpath by the bridge, i can not remember the name of the pub though. As kids we all loved this place. ANDY i also live in Redditch (Greenlands Estate ) we moved from Birmingam to Redditch on the 13th of December 1968 the move was because the company i worked for ( BKL in the factory centre Kings Norton ) moved to Redditch., and we love the place. I also went to mary street school and was in the same classes as your younger brother Dennis. All the best and a very happy and healthy new year to everybody on the Birmingham Forum. Frank.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2013, 10:50:55 PM »
frank

All aqueduct means is water passing over other water by some sort of a duct system. Usually a canal passing over a river or in this case a stream. The Aqueduct at the junction of Peterbrook Rd and Aqueduct Rd is still there today as is the pub (the Drawbridge) although the area is built up today and hardly recognisable
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frank

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 11:35:45 PM »
Phil. Thank you for the explanation of an aqueduct, and what a marvelous photo. i know it is well before my time but take those people out of it and it is just as i remember it. My father used to take one of those empty wine bottles that had a con,caved bottom in it, and he used to knock a hole into it then put some bread in the bottle then put string through the hole and thread it through neck of the bottle then lower it into the water under the bridge then after about 20 minutes he would pull it back out and there would be loads of minnows in it. After he showed them to us he would tip them back. Is the pub still there Phil. Frank.

Akatarawa

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 07:56:33 AM »
I used to work at Lucas Group Research 1961-1963 at Marston Green.  The building was at the back of Elmdon Airport with the end of the runway not that far beyond the fence line.

Not too many flights in those days, but the building vibrated when planes passed low overhead.

blueblizzard

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2013, 10:12:44 AM »
Hi Frank
             The Drawbridge pub is still there and is doing well especially in the summer,, the area around the aqueduct is still the same now as it was in phils photo but the other areas you mention are now built up as phil says.
Don't take life so seriously,,,nobody gets out alive anyway

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy