Author Topic: elmdon airport  (Read 30896 times)

planetmalc

Re: elmdon airport
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2013, 05:42:31 PM »
Planetmalc. Whatever were Birmingham council thinking of when they made a rubbish tip in this beautiful place. I hope they never had the nerve to put up houses by it, but knowing these councils they would not care one bit as long as the councillors themselves did not have to live by it. Frank.
Frank, I don't want to give the impression that the area's been totally ruined  -  it's still well worth a visit  -  it's just that they trashed the best historic feature in that neck of the woods and turned it into something bland that's fenced off 'cos it's now considered dangerous. :-\

That bit about Councillors not having to live near the stuff they've spoiled, is spot on! >:(
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

cal

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2017, 05:59:08 PM »
frank

Yes the Drawbridge Inn is still there today, but it has been completely rebuilt and bears little resemblence to the original pub which was ones of Dares Brewery houses. The brewery was located in Belgrave Rd, Balsall Heath. You will see the differences from these two photos.

Sorry to back track so far in time, I was just roaming around posts linked to childhood memories - it seemed silly to start a new topic just to say thanks for Drawbridge postings, I always bore my family to death with tales of Shirley, including being sent shopping at the outdoor with my cousins who lived along Peterbrooke Road, and with grumbles about how lovely the 'real' pub was before it was demolished to make way for the current set up. (We were nearby on the corner of Bill's Lane and Hurdis Road at that time). It's good to have a photo to match the memory!

Cal

bazablue

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2017, 08:40:38 PM »
Andy

As far as I am aware (I wasn't around at the time) most of the new planes were from out from Castle Bromwich, but I understand that some built at Longbridge were flown out for there as Longbridge only had a short airstrip.

The new site I referred to was Birmingham International which is slightly to the rear of the old airport and has new access roads. Elmdon is now mainly a goods airport I believe.m castle brom     ,the main road through the estate covers wht was the runway,the aircraft coming across the road from the factory..When lucas etc fitted equipment to some bombers the aircraft were towed over the railway bridge  most of the pilots were women who delivered same!!to the runways of what was elmdon airport for take off..It was a collection point  and delivered to various airfields...as for the shuttle I was at the end of the runway directly under the shuttle on the back of a jumbo as it approached at Hanger3 as it was..(customs hanger),,when the new road was being built to the new site,the wing of a glos.javelin was dug up!
the planes were fro....Longbridge had no runway,only aero engines/munitions and vehicles.The AERO was the factory at cofton park..mom and the others had to run across the park to the shelters under the little wood on the slope in the park.(still under there) whilst the Luftwaffe sprayed them!On the roof of the aero was an AA and a worker manned it during a raid,he was alone and untrained but shot anyway!!If I recall he was a neighbour..At the top of the road was the Italian POW camp,they came and dug our gardens for extras!wE BUILT A RAFT AND PLAYED IN AN OLD BOMB CRATER opposite ours,.it was still there in the 60s.Many aircraft flew over especially with the V bomber base at Honiley,watch the squadrons flying over as a kid with scores of fighters,the nearest runway was Wythall aerodrome,mainly a satellite airfield....longbridge had a test run on the rubbery side back of what was Longbridge goods station,to Halesowen line.(long closed)
Phil

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2017, 09:44:33 PM »
Hi bazablue

Welcome to the forum,

I hope you don't mind if I give you a little tip. When using the quote facility always make sure that the end [/quote]tab is above where you start typing your message. That way the quote and the message won't get intertwined.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2017, 10:10:07 AM »
Hi all,first flew from Elmdon in 1960 like Phil to Jersey,in an Elizebethan aircraft .On our return we took of in the blacklist thunderstorm I've ever witnessed ,the turbulents were so bad getting to Elmdon me and the wife have never flown since,it frightened us so much.By the way B E A was up Broad St at the Civic Ctr
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Bev K

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »
wow ... got pictures of myself with my siblings up at Elmdon - it was an afternoon drive out for us to go & watch the planes and have a cup of terrible tea & a biscuit at the cafe. I took a flight to Dublin from there way back in the Cretaceous period on a flying vehicle of some kind - experienced godawful turbulence too like other Forumites. Good memories of my childhood though late 50s early 60s. O0

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2017, 06:00:03 PM »
  hi bev this may have been the kind of plane that you went on in the 60s
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Bev K

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2017, 06:03:46 PM »
Hey Roy, I think my mind has blocked it out for sanity's sake and it might've been a BOAC plane but it was a rattly rust bucket for sure!! Thanks for that trip down memory lane tho' And is that Elmdon in the background??

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »
hi bev I  iv been on an airlingus plane in the 1967 it was a twin prop  on the way over the sea the captain said that one of the engines  had cut out  so we will be landing an hour late  then he come back on and said I hope the other engines does not give over  because we will be up hear all bloody day ::) ::) O0 O0
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Bev K

« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »
hi bev I  iv been on an airlingus plane in the 1967 it was a twin prop  on the way over the sea the captain said that one of the engines  had cut out  so we will be landing an hour late  then he come back on and said I hope the other engines does not give over  because we will be up hear all bloody day ::) ::) O0 O0

Groan .... ::)   I've heard that one Roy!! (but it's still funny!!)

frederick

« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »
Roy,
In 1967 we flue the Italy in a four prop DC9, very similar looking to that plane.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy