Author Topic: elmdon airport  (Read 30913 times)

TJOTCO

Re: elmdon airport
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2018, 10:55:59 PM »
Jimbo, I'd like to ask you a question about the Aero Club please. Please get in touch if you read this message. :)

JudithM

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2018, 01:39:47 PM »
Elmdon is the place where I grew up - quite near to the airport.  I used to keep a horse in Bickenhill too & one of the fields on the land where she was kept had landing lights in it, so you can imagine how low the planes went over on landing & take off!

I remember Concorde coming in a few times - amazing to see so close up.

Another fond memory I have is of the airships.  They must have run trips from Elmdon airport in the summer months in the '70's as they were a fairly frequent sight.  You'd hear the engine noise first - quite unlike the sound of the small propeller planes you'd get a lot of too.

I was saddened to read in the local news recently that there is a possibility that the old terminal building might be demolished,  I think it is a listed building, but not protecting.  From what I gather, the building continued to be used as offices after the main airport business moved to Birmingham International, but it was recently vacated & the very recent bad weather has done some damaged that may be too costly to repair.  On the other hand, they could just be saying that to justify demolition as I also understand that they've wanted it out of the way for some time to make way for runway extensions.  We shall see  ::)
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

countrylad

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2018, 10:22:46 PM »
Judithm, I spent a lot of time around Elmdon in the early 70's watching planes. I do remember Concord coming in. I think it may have been the prototype, registration, GBSST. This could have been 1970.

I don't remember the airships but I do remember the BAC 1-11's owned by Courtline (Thompson's or Clarksons  Holidays) they were painted in pastel colours of; green, orange, pink and blue.
countrylad

frederick

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2018, 01:18:43 PM »
Countrylad,
I have a photo of my wife coming down the rear stair case of a BAC 111 at Elmdon we had just got back from a holiday abroad.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2018, 01:41:54 PM »
Snap Frederick,we had just come home from Jersey in 1960,our plane was an Elizabethan.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Spud

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2018, 02:16:10 PM »
The Fuel Control Systems for Concorde were manufactured by Lucas Aerospace at Shaftmoor Lane. Interestingly although Concorde was of course a Civil Aircraft  the manufacture came under control of the MOD and ARB rather than the Civil Aviation Authority  [CAA] as it was powered by Olympus 593 Engines which also powered The Vulcan Bomber.
 There used to be a  Concorde on display to the public at Bridgetown Airport in Barbados but it is sometime since I have been in that neck of the woods but nearer to home there is the last Concorde to fly  on display at The Concorde Museum Patchway in Bristol

The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

TJOTCO

« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2018, 12:50:11 AM »
Hello Jimbo. I'm looking for someone who used to go to the Aero Nightclub. I wonder if you could help me please. :)

frederick

« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2018, 10:07:16 AM »
Tjotco,
I went to that club a couple of times but I can't say I new anyone there.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Berni

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »
We can always write in bold too?  :-\

countrylad

« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2018, 08:05:03 PM »
Snap Frederick,we had just come home from Jersey in 1960,our plane was an Elizabethan.
I'm sure it was a BAC 1-11 that I flew to Jersey on in 1978 out of Elmdon.  It no sooner finished climbing that we started to descend. The cabin crew had a job to serve everyone drinks before they had to put the trolley away. This was the first time I had been in a commercial plane.

Berni

« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2018, 08:52:54 PM »
Elmdon is the place where I grew up - quite near to the airport.  I used to keep a horse in Bickenhill too & one of the fields on the land where she was kept had landing lights in it, so you can imagine how low the planes went over on landing & take off!
I was saddened to read in the local news recently that there is a possibility that the old terminal building might be demolished,  I think it is a listed building, but not protecting.  From what I gather, the building continued to be used as offices after the main airport business moved to Birmingham International, but it was recently vacated & the very recent bad weather has done some damaged that may be too costly to repair.  On the other hand, they could just be saying that to justify demolition as I also understand that they've wanted it out of the way for some time to make way for runway extensions.  We shall see  ::)
Ive trimmed my quote of your post above Judith, for my contribution, hope you dont mind and the original is still intact anyway O0  I also seem to remember a De Havilland Rapide or two giving trips commercially from and to Elmdon maybe in the 70's. A very distinctive aircraft , twin engined radial I think. Also I had more than a couple of chances to see inside quite a bit of the inside of that terminal block in the late 70's and it was in quite a state in respect to upkeep. It was certainly dated anyway in terms of design and what would they want it for anyway as a building in the 21st century?  Nothing is for ever, not even the EU or our way of life chichis something the human being on this earth is starting to realise slowly? ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy