Author Topic: elmdon airport  (Read 30906 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: elmdon airport
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2018, 11:25:31 PM »
The Elizabethan was a loverly twin prop in the early 60s so smooth
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

frederick

« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2018, 11:45:18 AM »
There used to be short trips in a De Havalland Dragon Rapide from Elmdon.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

JudithM

« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2018, 12:40:49 PM »
Ive trimmed my quote of your post above Judith, for my contribution, hope you dont mind and the original is still intact anyway O0  I also seem to remember a De Havilland Rapide or two giving trips commercially from and to Elmdon maybe in the 70's. A very distinctive aircraft , twin engined radial I think. Also I had more than a couple of chances to see inside quite a bit of the inside of that terminal block in the late 70's and it was in quite a state in respect to upkeep. It was certainly dated anyway in terms of design and what would they want it for anyway as a building in the 21st century?  Nothing is for ever, not even the EU or our way of life chichis something the human being on this earth is starting to realise slowly? ;)
I think that conservationists want to use the building as either a hotel or heritage centre.  I know things move on, but it's a nice art deco building, the kind that elsewhere would be conserved.  There must have been repairs/refurbishment done to it since the '70's as it was being used as office buildings until very recently.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

frederick

« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2018, 04:09:26 PM »
When we lived at Sheldon my wife for a time worked in a shop in the old airport building, she Was serplyed with a uniform to wear.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Berni

« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2018, 06:37:03 PM »
I think that conservationists want to use the building as either a hotel or heritage centre.  I know things move on, but it's a nice art deco building, the kind that elsewhere would be conserved.  There must have been repairs/refurbishment done to it since the '70's as it was being used as office buildings until very recently.
Its actually years since Ive been anywhere near it I think Judith so was just thinking back to when I did and inside was a shambles generally. But that was then and time for others to sort it out.

astoness

« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2018, 06:45:07 AM »

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2018, 09:50:53 AM »
This country is known as Knock it down Britain.All the lovely buildings we have lost since the 50s,all for the sake of progress.In other European countries they love their architecture and try to save it for posterity.

astoness

« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2018, 06:39:56 AM »
totally agree with you edmund...i call them throw away buildings because what they are building now will most likely only last about 40 to 50 years and then they will be demolished and more eye sore buildings put up...i wish them well in trying to save the old airport terminal but wont hold my breath...i have been actively involved in trying to save buildings much older..ie island house near park st (demolished) and the nearby fox and grapes pub at least 300 years old which has been left to rot over the last few years but will shortly go to make way for HS2...the golden lion pub 500 years old left to rot for at least 12 years in cannon hill park and wont last much longer...i have long since realised that the powers that be do not give a flying fig about saving our historial buildings..if they want the land then they will take it...money talks >:(

lyn

Scipio

« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2018, 10:25:41 AM »
My Mother took to being an air passenger in her 60's , going to and fro from the Republic of Ireland . She used to fly from here , when our children were young if they were on school holidays my wife and I used to book the day of work and make a day of it there, to see her off . I'll always remember the flight number EI 265 . Had a nice couple of pints while we were there
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2018, 10:57:23 AM »
Lynn,going of Topic a fraction in the Dordogne at Figeac they completely rebuilt a Castle that was derelict over 5 years,it must have cost a lot of money to do.But it is now beautiful

astoness

« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2018, 08:18:18 PM »
Lynn,going of Topic a fraction in the Dordogne at Figeac they completely rebuilt a Castle that was derelict over 5 years,it must have cost a lot of money to do.But it is now beautiful

well good for them

lyn

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy