Author Topic: elmdon airport  (Read 30899 times)

countrylad

Re: elmdon airport
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2018, 08:38:22 PM »
The building Is ripe for sympathetic restoration and in the right area. I used to regularly pass by Croydon Aerodrome (as was). The Artdeco building looks magnificent and well cared for as a commercial venue.

It's topped off with a DeHavaland Heron in front of the building, on stilts and looks like it is just taking off.

I'm sure that if this monument to the past had been demolished, I and others would never have known that Croydon had an historic Aerodrome.

frederick

« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2018, 10:41:11 AM »
The factories in the U.K. That made the aircrafts of yesteryear are still there but have had change of usage. The building could be used for one or two different things and attractions.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

JudithM

« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2018, 01:25:50 PM »
The building Is ripe for sympathetic restoration and in the right area. I used to regularly pass by Croydon Aerodrome (as was). The Artdeco building looks magnificent and well cared for as a commercial venue.

It's topped off with a DeHavaland Heron in front of the building, on stilts and looks like it is just taking off.

I'm sure that if this monument to the past had been demolished, I and others would never have known that Croydon had an historic Aerodrome.

Exactly.  A lot of  younger people don't even realise that there was such a thing as Elmdon Airport, as Birmingham International is all they've known.  Growing up by it, we were told at school about it's history when we were looking at WWII, if they still do the local history take on these sorts of events it would be good to have a visitor centre to take kids to.

I know that some older buildings can be problematic to adapt to modern standards & usages, but other places manage to do it & it's great to have some heritage to pass down to future generations.  As has been said 'throw away buildings' dominate at the moment.  Birmingham City Centre is a case in point - especially round by the Museum.  All the old buildings around Easy Row etc were demolished to make way for at the time modern buildings, which in turn have been demolished to make way for today's modern.  I just can't see today's steel & glass buildings being venerated by future generations in the same way as the Victorian or Georgian buildings that were once there - and I don't think they'd last that long anyway.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

JudithM

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2018, 12:54:30 PM »
The good news is that the terminal building is now getting listed -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-45258581

:)
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

frederick

« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2018, 04:04:43 PM »
That's good news. An iconic building saved.   O0