Author Topic: Cotteridge  (Read 33367 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Cotteridge
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 03:17:50 PM »
9teen48
              i was brung up on the right side of brum b/heath  hope street Angelina street and leapold street always stayed the bull ring side of brum  back in the late 40 i wonder if you could get a tram from brum to westbrom via hockley  handsworth up the Soho road or did you have to get a train? Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 08:18:15 PM »
Let’s see if I can get it on the right thread this time. This is a photo of the No 7 Martineau St to Nechells trolley bus taken in 1940. It is a 1932 Leyland TB2 with a Short Brothers Body. Only 11 buses were added to the fleet of this class all with dummy radiators to conform to the public’s idea of how a bus should look.

The photo was obviously taken during the war years as can been seen by the blackout precautions and the white paint decoration to the adjacent pole.

I have no idea what I have just wrote about it all came from a book, but I have it on good authority that Steve used this bus every day to go to work every day (well nearly every day) when he lived in Nechells.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 09:35:17 PM »
9teen48
              i was brung up on the right side of brum b/heath  hope street Angelina street and leapold street always stayed the bull ring side of brum  back in the late 40 i wonder if you could get a tram from brum to westbrom via hockley  handsworth up the Soho road or did you have to get a train? Roy
Roy,

You could go to West Brom by tram until the route was abandoned in 1939.  They had four tracks at Holyhead Road to hold the football special trams during matches at The Hawthorns, as shown below.

Brian

9teen48

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 01:36:49 PM »
Getting back to Cotteridge, here is a nice old postcard view of the church and tram terminus as seen from the end of Middleton Hall Road.

9teen48

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2009, 01:42:32 PM »
The scene in this postcard is dominated by the Barclays Bank building. The now demolished St. Agnes church is also visible.

9teen48

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2009, 10:34:39 PM »
Another nice old postcard view of St Agnes Church and the row of shops on Pershore Road at Cotteridge.  The absence of trams and buses in this scene allows us to see the buildings more clearly and the activity on the shop fronts.

9teen48

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »
Here is a nice photograph for the Cotteridge local historians out there.  This shows the old shop front design for Rhodes China and Glass shop on Pershore Road. 

Like the pictures I posted at Replies 1 & 2, we have to thank Terry Pearson for making these available.  You can see his photostream on Flickr by searching for "Quadbod".

Brian

9teen48

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 02:20:46 PM »
Here is another of Terry Pearson's photographs.  This shows the Cotteridge Rhodes shop front as it was in the late 1960's.

Brian

9teen48

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2009, 11:37:07 PM »
A tram on the 36 route approaches the Cotteridge terminus on Pershore Road, preceded by an Outer Circle bus about to turn into Watford Road.  Nice to see the Scribbans's electric bread van parked alongside the shops.

9teen48

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2009, 10:21:20 PM »
Here we have a singe-deck BCT bus working the No. 4 route from Pool Farm estate, climbing the hill on Pershore Road South as it approaches the Cotteridge terminus in the mid-1960s.

9teen48

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2009, 05:53:56 PM »
The same bus on the return trip from Cotteridge to Pool Farm Estate, heading down the hill on Pershore Road South, towards Kings Norton Green.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy