Author Topic: Cotteridge  (Read 33356 times)

vin t

Cotteridge
« on: November 10, 2009, 06:18:14 PM »

Whilst having no current relatives living in Birmingham, going back 50-60 years I certainly did.
One branch of the family lived at Cotteridge but don’t ask me where. It was a similar property to the 'back to backs'.
I have a vague memory that we always got off by a big row of shops where there was a shop with large statues of heraldic lions outside. Is this a figment of my imagination?
What I do remember is travelling from Coventry to Birmingham on the 159, Midland Red, where the bus stopped on the slope outside St. Martins. Always used the metal chocks kept in a holder on the platform to prevent any chance of rolling back to Digbeth.
We then walked around the corner and caught the tram to Cotteridge.
For a change we would get off at the Swan and catch the Outer Circle bus at one of the wonderful BCT bus shelters.

9teen48

Re: Cotteridge
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:03:44 AM »
Hi Vin T,

I knew Cotteridge pretty well from the mid-1950s through to the mid-1970s.  The main road from the city is the Pershore Road and at Cotteridge this is the main shopping area and the location of the tram depot and terminus of the 36 tram route.  By 1953 the depot was converted to bus operation and the site of the depot is now a housing development. If you came from The Swan on the outer circle No. 11 via King's Heath, you would also join the Pershore Road near the Breedon Cross and climb up Pershore Road into Cotteridge.  The outer circle bus turned right at the bus depot into Watford Road, where there is another busy shopping area.

I can't recall the lions, but we had a massive second-hand/antique shop called the Treasure Trove, and they had a couple of stuffed black bears standing on their frontage.

This photo shows Pershore Road at the end of the 1960s, with the entrance to the bus depot on the left, just after Rhodes glass and china shop.  You can just make out one of the BCT bus shelters in the distance. This picture was provided by Terry Pearson, whose father was MD of the Rhodes shops.
Brian

9teen48

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 12:08:33 AM »
Hi Vin T,

Another photo from Terry Pearson, taken the same day but looking back along Pershore Road towards town.

Have a look at Mark Norton's fabulous website of his late father's photographs, which includes lots of colour and B&W shots of Cotteridge from the 1950s and 1960s.  Go to photosbydjnorton.com and select Birmingham In Colour and also South Birmingham Businesses - Cotteridge.  Those pictures should bring back some memories for you.

Brian

vin t

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:54:57 AM »
Hello Brian,
Thank you very much indeed. The shop I vaguely remember was the Treasure Trove, obviously time changed two bears into lions, mind you the animal type was a shot in the dark.
Family records of Birmingham appear to be non existent so the personal memory is all that is left.

Nothing to do with this post, but growing up in Coventry and visiting Birmingham after the war, bomb sites and very basic shops were the norm. They were happy days, we didn't expect too much, so were rarely disappointed.

jaykay

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »
Hi vinT,
Have a look at cotteridge . com  there's loads on there and lots of photos.
Regards John1.

Bernard_Ric

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 10:09:07 AM »
The photo of Cotteridge and mention of the 'Treasure Trove' brought back memoires. What a great place that was to browse in.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:37:24 AM »
Hi Bernard_Ric

Welcome to the forum, never had much to do with Cotteridge though I did have an Aunt & Uncle who lived there in the 50's Heathcote Rd?

Here's another reminder of the Treasure Trove, I will admit to having a good nose round in there a few times though I never actually purchased anything.

These photos are of different times and I think the earlier one is a different location.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 12:35:17 PM »
Phil
the newer photograph of Treasure Trove , which is the one people here  would remember was at 1852 and 1854 Pershore road. The earlier one would have been at 1892, two doors away from the transport depot. The earlier position was only listed in kellys in 1940, for several years either side that building was not included in the directory, later being a plumbing merchants.  The firm appeared at 1852-4 between 1940 and 1943. 

vin t

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 02:43:32 PM »
Lots of info, thank you.
As it was the very early 50s (trams still running) would the Treasure Trove have had its frontage direct on to the the pavement at that time?
Regards
Vince

9teen48

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 08:21:16 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks to Phil for posting those great pictures of the Treasure Trove - I've got the second one but I've never seen the other two.  Apart from the many rooms in the building, they had extensive grounds at the back with lots of interesting stuff.

Thanks to Mike for confirming the location of the earlier Treasure Trove, this set me looking at my photos of Cotteridge and I found the attached 1938 image of Pershore Road showing a tram emerging from the depot and Rhodes at the end of the row of shops.  You can just about make out the Treasure Trove to the left of Rhodes.

Vin T - I had a close look at one of the late Sixties shots of Rhodes and I noticed the decorative stonework which stands between Rhodes and the shop to the left - could this be the "heraldic image" you recall ?  See second picture below.

Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 08:57:49 PM »
Hi Brian

A few more of Cotteridge for you, One showing the same location as yours but a little earlier. Another one of the Treasure Trove and one of Watford Rd to finish off.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy