Author Topic: Cotteridge  (Read 33353 times)

9teen48

Re: Cotteridge
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 09:09:19 PM »
Hi Phil,

Thanks for another picture of the Treasure Trove which I've not seen before.  The row of shops in Watford Road is great too.  I used to buy my records at Blakes shop. The No. 18 and No. 11 bus stops were alongside that row of shops.

Vin T - this extract from the 1962 A to Z shows most of the roads in Cotteridge and may help you recall where your relatives were.

Brian

vin t

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 03:35:44 PM »
Can I thank everyone for their responces to this post. The Treasure Trove must have been quite a shop.
I wish I could remember where my relatives lived in Cotteridge, even the map (much appreciated) has not helped, but it was nearly 60 years ago. Its a side of the family with whom we lost contact about 25 years ago, when what were very old aunts, died.
I'm wondering now if we started using the Outer Circle from the Swan after the trams were withdrawn.
Thanks
Vince

9teen48

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 08:53:42 PM »
Hello Vince,

Buses replaced the Pershore Road tram service on 6th July 1952.  You could still travel by bus from the city to Cotteridge, but the outer circle provided an alternative route from the Coventry Road and saved you going in and out of the city centre.

Brian

vin t

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 08:45:51 AM »
More thoughts on the trips to Cotteridge.
Trolley buses. Not a subject you hear much of but travelling on the 159 meant that we saw these odd looking vehicles at the terminus at Sheldon, just past the airport.
Vince

9teen48

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 07:38:59 PM »
Hello Vince,

Two pictures of the trolleybuses on the Coventry Road route. A couple of 6-wheelers at the terminus in Sheldon and a 4-wheeler closer to town at Hay Mills.

Brian

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 08:25:12 PM »
when i was a kid I'm sure i seen a trolley bus running along the Mosley road i wonder if its me off my head or can any Else confirm it yes or no (the bus that is) i know im off me head
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

9teen48

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 10:10:37 PM »
Hello Roy,

According to David Harvey's book on Birmingham Trolleybuses, there were only two routes in Birmingham.  One from Old Square to Nechells via Aston Street, Bloomsbury Street, Nechells park Road.  The second route was from Albert Street, Digbeth, Station Street, Deritend, Coventry Road to Sheldon and Lode Lane.  The trolleybuses were taken off in 1951. 

My grandfather was an inspector at Moseley Road tram depot and we used the Moseley Road trams and then buses from King's Heath to town.  I can only remember seeing the trolleybuses in Albert Street and down Digbeth.

Brian

9teen48

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 11:36:42 PM »
Roy,

This is the only other possibility I can think of - you may have seen a trolleybus being towed as in the picture below.  This was during abandonment in 1951 and the trolleybus is being towed by the contractor W.T. Bird en route to their scrapyard at Stratford-on-Avon.  Probably leaving Coventry Road depot via Arthur Street, however it seems unlikely that they would have travelled along Moseley Road when heading for Stratford unless there was a diversion for some reason.

Brian

vin t

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 09:03:34 AM »
Great pictures of trolleys buses. Thanks
Vince T

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 09:08:32 AM »
hi
  thanks for your input to my sanity  but can i pose a question  could a trolleybus use the same overhead lines has a tram now i understand that when a tram come to its terminus it did not turn round they just moved pentagram but looking at a trolleybus it had a front and back not like a tram  now i remember the tram lines at the maypole and it seems like it went in a loop if you get my drift now you could not steer a tram but you could a trolleybus roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

9teen48

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 11:26:20 AM »
Hi Roy,

The trolleybus has a separate overhead to the tram.  The trolleybus requires two overhead wires, a live and a neutral. The twin poles collect and return the current from the overhead to run the electric motors which drive the axles.  Otherwise, as you say, a trolleybus can be steered etc, but must stay in contact with the overhead to receive power supply.  So the trolleybus is just like any other electric road vehicle, milk floats, bread vans and the old dust carts we had, except they relied on rechargeable batteries on the vehicle.  The trolleybus takes its power from the overhead.

The trams only needed one overhead wire because the electrical return path was via the track.  The usual arrangement at the terminus was to swing the trolley pole or bow collector around and the motorman would take his key to the other end of the tram and drive from that end.  There were some tram turning loops but not at the Maypole.  That was a bus turning area. The trams only went as far as "The Knob" at Alcester Lanes End.  Hope this helps.

Brian

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy