Author Topic: Cotteridge  (Read 33369 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Cotteridge
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2009, 06:03:48 PM »
hi 9teen48   i think i remember that type of bus on the 27 rout from north field to west heath and when it got to west heath it turned round by the 45 terminus then went back down west heath road now the odd thing is im sure iv seen the 27 bus at kingsheath but i may be wrong  its old age setting in  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

9teen48

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2009, 06:26:50 PM »
Hi Roy,

No, you are quite right, the 27 ran from King's Heath.  It went down Avenue Road and Dads Lane, through Stirchley and under the low bridge near Cadburys, then made its way through Bournville and onto Bunbury Road to Northfield.  The rest of the route was as you said, West Heath Road up to the terminus at Alvechurch Road.

Brian

9teen48

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 06:56:39 PM »
Yet another view of the Treasure Trove.

vin t

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »
It seems a long time since I started this thread. Can I thank everyone who has posted some excellent photos of Cotteridge. I wish I could remember what street my relatives lived in, but just too long ago.
It would probably have been rented property, the family actually owned quite a few properties before the war but I understand that they were all destroyed by German bombing and being lease hold, that was it.
Thanks anyway
Vince

avion ancien

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 03:56:29 PM »
Sorry for being a johnny come lately and reviving an elderly thread! A link to this thread has been posted on another forum in relation to the Treasure Trove. Apparently amongst its esoteric stock in 1951 was a Pou de Ciel - otherwise known as a Flying Flea, a french designed homebuilt aeroplane, for which there was a craze in the 1930s before it was discovered to have a fatal (literally!) design flaw and was banned - carrying the registration mark G-AEBT. It had been owned by an A.J.Walker of Kings Norton before being noted in the Treasure Trove but after its appearance there, it disappeared off the radar forever! Does it ring bells with anyone? If it would help for me to post an image of a Pou de Ciel, in the hope of jogging memories, let me know and I will do so.

Avion Ancien - formerly of Olton, now in France!

9teen48

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 04:54:37 PM »
Hi Avion Ancien,

Welcome to the forum and no problem in you responding to this old thread.  I knew the Treasure Trove from the mid-1950s onwards and there was a lot of stuff there but I don't recognise the item you describe.  Yes please post an image which may help to spark some memories.

Brian

avion ancien

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 06:10:15 PM »
Hi Brian and everyone else subscribing to this thread.

The Flying Flea came in many varieties but its distinguishing feature is that it looks as if it has two sets of wings, one behind the other, and no tailplanes. Attached is an image of a typical pre-war Flea, very similar to the one which was reported in the Treasure Trove in 1951.

Curiously the Flea in which I am interested is recorded as being " destroyed by the weather". Maybe it sat in the open, at the back of the Treasure Trove, during a typical Midlands summer! It was originally built in Solihull before the last war; belonged to a J.G.Wood of Birmingham  just before the war; had passed to a J.A.Fortey by the end of the war; and the rest I have already told you!

avion ancien

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 06:17:54 PM »
Forgive me, but just one more on the Treasure Trove theme. Is there a connection between the Treasure Trove that was in Pershore Road, Cotteridge and the Treasure Trove which, I understand, exists today in Dumphouse Lane, Alvechurch?

vin t

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 06:59:37 PM »
It seems a long time since I started the post on Cotteridge.
Interesting the photograph of the Flying Flea, I have heard of them but never had the chance to see one.
Regards and thanks
Vince T

tardebigge

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 08:39:47 PM »
Here is a picture of the 45 terminus also showing a Selly Oak fleetline which had been on the 27 route.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2010, 12:32:03 PM »
Hi avion ancien,

As you interested in the flying Flea, I thought you might be interested in this. Apparently it is a Wagtail built by F.W.Taylor & L Bracey.

It was on sale at a Car Lot on Digbeth opposite Milk St in 1951 and fetched £25.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy