Author Topic: Your 5 Most Treasured Events  (Read 6026 times)

John_Lerwill

Your 5 Most Treasured Events
« on: December 21, 2006, 09:29:04 PM »
Mine:

1. Being at the birth of my first child;
2. Watching a Siberian tiger as it skirted within inches of my car door;
3. Experiencing 5 days without daylight in the Arctic Circle;
4. Watching a son score a spectacular goal from 40 yards;
5. My first 'plane flight - a £5 Dakota trip to the Isle of Wight (1965).

Garn, I've got to add a sixth (the then uniqueness of TV) - with 30 members of the family gathered round my aunt's TV to watch the Coronation (1953).
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

Jacqueline

Re: Your 5 Most Treasured Events
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 11:36:04 PM »
GOSH cannot match yours but these are mine

1. Finding i was not an only child. To my mother yes but since finding a bunch of half brothers and sisters from my evil father.

2. On my second pregnancy phoning a number of friends telling them i was expecting twins. Dunno why i did it was just being daft. Then the scan told me i was indeed expecting twins.

3. The pleasure of knowing my gran. She was a super lady and i loved her to bits.

4. Being on Tizwas

5. Cheating the eleven plus...getting it wrong so i could go to secondary school....silly sod.

Okies, am i sad or what? ???

john2000

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 07:48:51 AM »
For me, I have many, but the 5 that come to mind are,
1) above the Arctic circle looking at the Aurora bolas,
2) drinking tea from a dirty glass given to me by some nomad Arabs in the desert in North of Chad.
3) sitting on top of my land rover late at night looking at the stars, and hearing the wild dogs.
4) my first view of the walled city of Sarah ( Eastern Chad) with its high walls and main gates,
5) standing on top of a mountain in the French Alps and looking across the world it was if I could see forever.

but our lives are made up with so many memories, its hard to put them into category's
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

John_Lerwill

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 09:42:28 AM »
GOSH cannot match yours...

You did - and more - Jackie! Thank you!  :)

I found yours fascinating - especially the last one!  ;)

Actually you're not alone in that - a famous Villa footballer (Billy Walker) was certain to qualify for higher education back in ca. 1910, but he flunked it so that he could get into football.

John_Lerwill

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 09:49:09 AM »
For me, I have many, but the 5 that come to mind are...

but our lives are made up with so many memories, its hard to put them into category's

Yeah - agreed on that last one, John. It's just that I had just half-a-dozen memories that are always there with me as having the most impact, but there are many others too, as you say.

But, going from your previous accounts of your experiences as well, yours sound highly colourful.

In fact - "being on top of the French Alps and looking across the world" is one I nearly accomplished; I once set off up Stockhorn on a sunny day, but by the time I got to the top there was a near-blizzard blowing and that put paid to the view!!! But I was cheating anyway - I went up by cable-car!  ;)

John_Lerwill

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 10:33:30 AM »
Talking of mountains, I recall climbing/walking up that hillock Snowdon in record time in '64, and being thwarted of that reputed view to Anglesley by low cloud! It was still my first time looking down on cloud from above, though.

john2000

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 11:15:45 AM »
J-L if you ever find time theres a small village in the Hautes-Alps, near Gap, about 30kms east, which is called Embrun, and its as if they stuck it on the side of a mountain, look up, and the mountain goes into the clouds, look right and down you see the valley floor far below, you can even do white water rafting there, in the valley there are some stables which has the white horses from the Camarge, and you can trek all day if you wish,
across the valley from Embrun there is another small village where the people spend the winter there, in the summer they go back up into the mountains, a lot of houses come empty as the old die off, and the young people move on to the cities a lot of the houses are now 2nd homes to people from Marseilles......happy days............ ;D

John_Lerwill

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 11:48:44 AM »
Mmmm. That sounds good! You're causing me to recall a lot about the Alps, John...

- hiking through a Swiss valley, and coming across those famed cows with bells around their necks...

- taking a train trip from Milan to Geneva, acrosss the Alps and through the Swiss plain. Spectacular! Later did a much shorter but equally impressive train trip from Berne to Lausanne. And Basel to Brussels by high-speed train was pretty good too...!

- and once camping in the Isere valley in the pitch-black middle of the night, only to be nearly squashed by a pantechnicon at daylight!!!

Jacqueline

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 12:43:06 PM »
Waves - Can match one. Have been to Brussles and a few other towns in Belgium but the closest i have come to climbing has to be the trossacks [is that how it's spelt?] in Scotland. Got halfway up and gave up. Also of course the Lickey Hills. ;D

John_Lerwill

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 01:37:40 PM »
I'm not sure, but tink it's Trossachs, Jackie... You know the Scots with their achs and ochs !!!  :)

No, climbing was not my 'thing' either, Jackie, though going up Snowdon was quite good. It wasn't really climbing. I also liked the air and social life in Snowdonia, at Capel Curig and places like that with their folk clubs and pubs... And the YHAs - though the enforced spud-bashing was not totally appreciated!

Don't know what you think of Belgium, Jackie, but I didn't find it very inspiring, though Brussels is OK, I suppose. I was always much happier in France, Switzerland and Italy.

john2000

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 01:56:20 PM »
John_L, What I did like in Belgium, was the main square ( name escapes me for the moment,) some where near that station, it had lots of cafes and when you walk down on the right hand side there was/is a shopping arcade, past that and you come into a narrow street, now half way down again on the right is/was a restarant where the service was unbeatable it was the best restaurant I've ever been in ( and I've been in a few), I found that the people where friendly, and helpful, Antwerp is a city which I found after my own heart, it was great, not where the tourists hang out, but in the back streets, by the docks, ( they have ladies of the night there to ),to sit in a brown cafe, with the locals ( some looked as if they would cut your throat if you spoke to them,) but beer loosens their tongues, and then you get to know the real guy sitting next to you, you've made a friend for life,The Belge have a sport which I think in down right dangerus, the shoot at ballons with a bow and arrow, when they hit a ballon they win a prise, but the ballons are about 15mts above their heads, and what goes up must come down, I took my shot and was off way to the other side, they all laugh at me, ( well anyway no one was killed that afternoon. ) why I dont know. ................ ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy