Author Topic: Your 5 Most Treasured Events  (Read 6030 times)

Graham

Re: Your 5 Most Treasured Events
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 10:44:24 PM »
I'm perfectly aware of the environmental situation there, but I do not understand why you wish to attack London on that issue.

Because you made an attack on Belgium with it's motorway lighting, or had you forgotten that already?

J_L, getting back to your dislike of the Belgian terrain. I can well understand your reaction as I think that I had the same feeling about it some 40 years ago. Having lived here for so long now I have discovered the charm and beauty of the flat Flemish and Dutch polders, and now I love them. I think that beauty is still in the eye of the beholder, having lived in various countries has taught me that. I wouldn't call the Russian "Tundra", the Mongolian "Steppe", Hungarian "Poesta" or the "Salt Lakes" of Utah and Australia ugly or boring, and not worth visiting, just because they are "flat".

John_Lerwill

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 10:51:35 PM »
I've got no argument with all that you've just written, Graham!

As for the street-lighting "attack", that was more of a "how come?" statement - I didn't think it a very clever idea compared with our 'cats eyes' - especially the latest versions.
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

john2000

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006, 08:51:51 AM »
Now that was the idea of the century, "catseyes", the best thing since sliced bread, but you don't see any here in mainland Europe, it never caught on, they tried them on a pedestrian crossing ( of all things) so when you came up to them you had a row of lights, some cars just waited till the lights changed, or people almost got ran over because the driver was looking at the lights and not at the people,
I wish we had them here where I live, the orange street lights are not the best at most times, and when its damp every thing ( including the light) is a mat dull colour, and some times you don't know if its a dog or a wolf,      ( I've had to fit halogen lamps on my car )............ 8)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

spyro2000

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2006, 09:44:49 AM »
The birth of my son
Graduating from university
The birth of me
Getting into my first job since leaving university

I cant think of any more at the moment, but I hopefully have many years left in my life to build up a list.
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

Graham

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2006, 10:05:51 AM »
As for the street-lighting "attack", that was more of a "how come?" statement - I didn't think it a very clever idea compared with our 'cats eyes' - especially the latest versions.

Well J_L you are quite right, it isn't a very clever idea and I for one have been a strong adversary to the motorway's being lit-up all night long. In the fog it is down right dangerous too! Drivers use the street lights, when you can't see the road for the fog, as beacons telling them where the road is and where it twists. With these lights to guide them they can drive at normal motorway speeds, 100 + kph, when you can only see as far as the front of your car! That there are so few chain crashes beats me.

"How come?" I have a very deep knowledge of the Belgian culture and way of thinking, so I can work it out. All those lights cost a lot of money to make and put into place, some high placed person will have filled his pockets in a deal with the contractors that got the job. He will have used the argument that the roads will be safer lit-up, they are not, that the fabrication of the lights and the placing will give a lot of people work. The irony of all this is that with the expensive energy price of today, they turn some of the lights off at night to save money! I have only one thing to say in favor and that is if you break down at night, as I have done once, and your stuck on the hard shoulder they do give comfort and you can see what you are doing when you lift the bonnet or walk to the nearest breakdown phone. Then they are a god send.

Motorways with no lights and good 'cats eyes' are really good. If someone has to brake you can see the brake lights come on from miles away, with motorway lighting the brake lights don't show up that well.

John_Lerwill

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2006, 10:13:40 AM »
Now that was the idea of the century, "catseyes", the best thing since sliced bread, but you don't see any here in mainland Europe, it never caught on...

Yeah, that was the first thing that struck me when I first went into Europe in the 60s. Amazing how oyu miss the cats' eyes when they're not there!

And now we're supposed to be all Europeans (an argument I'm not averese to), I would have thought ideas like that should be first on the agenda instead of trying to make bananas straight!  :D

John_Lerwill

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2006, 10:15:32 AM »
The birth of my son
Graduating from university
The birth of me
Getting into my first job since leaving university

I cant think of any more at the moment, but I hopefully have many years left in my life to build up a list.

Well done, Spyro!  ;)

Must get this thing back on to its original track...! (when we get back from our circular tour I suppose!).

John_Lerwill

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2006, 10:17:19 AM »
... All those lights cost a lot of money to make and put into place, some high placed person will have filled his pockets in a deal with the contractors that got the job...

And I thought that was the sort of thing that only went on in Malaysia and places like that!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2006, 11:46:47 AM »

1 the day i become a dad
2 the day i saved a  young girls life in the midland red bus station when she fell under the front wheels of a bus and the back wheels was just about to go over her when i stooped the bus and spent 30 minits  lay under the bus with the girl until they could get her out
3 when i met Roy orbson at the night out in brum had a long chat with him
  4 the day i got back to portsmouth and a welcome home

5when i seen the queen face to face

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

John_Lerwill

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2006, 01:01:41 PM »
2 the day i saved a  young girls life in the midland red bus station when she fell under the front wheels of a bus and the back wheels was just about to go over her when i stooped the bus and spent 30 minits  lay under the bus with the girl until they could get her out

Now that one is a big life experience. I have to say that I was once involved in a rescue many years ago (in Italy), and it came at a time - as a teenager - when I needed some extra self-belief. Boy, did that help the self-belief a bit...

Graham

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2006, 02:06:05 PM »
Roy, that's one way to fill this forum up! ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy