Author Topic: TILE CROSS  (Read 93888 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: TILE CROSS
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
changinman

I've sorted a few more out for you. If these are not in the Tile Cross area you will have to put me right, as I know little about the area.

The first one is of some houses in the Tile Cross area in 1952. I have no idea of the street name, perhaps you might have?

The next on is of Cooks Lane in 1986

The last on of these three is Mackadown Lane in 1967 when the prefabs were still there.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

changinman1

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 07:15:22 AM »
Phil ,,,,,,brill I really appreciate this , a couple of things , the first pic does not look like anywhere in Tile Cross that I know , the pic of the junction is I am guessing more like 1966 than 1986 and as long as I can remember there have been traffic lights at that x roads and the cars are of circa 1966 if you look closely. Finally the pic of the prefabs , this does not look like mackadown lane as I dont recognise that there has been any flats in the distance ever. God I feel terrible for saying this as it makes me sound ungrateful ......please dont think I am , I am just being subjective. cheers Karl O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 10:36:39 AM »
Hey Karl

No problem, I'm well used to lots of the photos I collect being misnamed. I think it has been mentioned lots of times before. It shows just how little research is done on some of these photos before they are published.

Usualy if I know the area concerned I can usualy correct any errors before I post them. but as I said in this case I know little about Tile Cross so I have to rely on the names and dates given with the photo.

Have a look at these two

Shirestone Rd & Tile Cross Rd

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

changinman1

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 10:44:40 AM »
aaahhhh thanks they are great and all bang on description wise....thanks..in my melancholy world  why does everywhere look so much nicer than it does now ??????

denise

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 10:56:26 AM »
Maybe it is the fact that you do not see so many cars.......the car is king these days.

changinman1

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 11:03:20 AM »
denise ...ye thats right and it all looked fresher and cleaner... :-\

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 11:11:01 AM »
may be its because we look at our youth through rose coloured glasses and forget that time changes folk and places roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

changinman1

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 11:13:45 AM »
it was probably horrid in the 70,s when i was a kid growin up there but I didnt think so...

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 12:35:38 PM »
Karl

The 70's was a fun time, most of the child poverty and diseases had been conquered by then and you was living out in the fresh air of Tile Cross it must have been great.

Heres another couple of photos, both of the same place The Bell one taken in 1935 when it was known as the Olde Bell and one 50 years later in 1985. Not many changes is there?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

CHRIS 2

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 02:53:44 PM »
Hi Phil,

I can confirm that the photograph of the new housing in Tile Cross in 1952, your post '22', is correctly named. I have the same book, but I also remember them. They are in the Shirestone Rd. Gerardsfield Rd. area of Tile Cross.

Annie

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 03:55:29 PM »
Hi Annie

It might not be the same book, as a lot of these books use the same photos. Another thing they do is add one or two photos change the text a bit and resell them as a second volume. You have to watch some of these publishers.

If your book has the street name, then it's a different one to mine.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy