Author Topic: TILE CROSS  (Read 93623 times)

MarkSkinner

Re: TILE CROSS
« Reply #209 on: June 04, 2017, 05:42:26 PM »
Hello Sidecarsid,

I have just about the worst memory it is possible to have but the name George Pendleton definately rings a bell!, our house was 3 doors away from Sharps shop, i was the youngest, there was Martin, Sonja,Alan and Ron the eldest , the Skinners were well known in that area!

Sidecarsid

« Reply #210 on: June 20, 2017, 11:29:51 AM »
I don't know how many will know this but one of the ELO group, Dave Morgan lived in Briddsland Road, he lived in the very last Wimpey house on the inner part of the road towards Tile Cross Road. The band was originally called The Move. Their road manager John Downing lived near Sheldon Hall Avenue, he drowned while on a ferry crossing in the English channel.

townie

« Reply #211 on: June 25, 2017, 06:23:19 PM »

Prefabs at Mackadown Lane Tile Cross.

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

bes

« Reply #212 on: June 30, 2017, 12:06:04 PM »
I had stumbled across this forum a couple of months ago and have been on many trips down memory lane by going through the subjects.
I agree, some great photos of Tile Cross area. Although I lived in many parts of Birmingham before moving to Wales in the 80's I still head back when possible to see my old haunts before they all change beyond recognition.

The photo of Cooks Lane Garage brought back memories of my first job after leaving school. I started there as an apprentice mechanic September 1971, I can still recall the old oil and petrol smells.Wages £5 a week for 50 Hrs!! + dinner at Eddies Cafe in Lea Village (paid for by Mr Lee the owner of the Garage).

At the time Gordon Rogers was the Foreman in the garage, Malcolm Sheldon one of the mechanics and John an apprentice a bit older than me. The Service Manager was Mr Rogers (Gordons' Dad). Mr John Lee owned the Garage and also Cateswell Lodge Garage in Hall Green. I thought him so posh as he lived on St Bernard's Rd.

Does anyone remember WYCO Engineering? This was to the left and behind the garage. Run by the Wyatt brothers, I can only remember the older brother Ernie (folks names are fading these days)

There were also old farm buildings at the back and to the left of the garage where other small businesses were based. One in particular made coil springs, I was often sent to see the old boy to a get a spring for something. Can anyone remember any other small businesses on the plot?

At the time 1971/72 a row of 'good' detached houses across the road from the garage were demolished and a more modern service station erected.

On occasions we would visit the White Hart pub for a sandwich, the manager at the time was Micky Platt.

This is a great forum, thank you.           

bes

« Reply #213 on: June 30, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »
Hi Country lad I am married to John, son of Jack Wyatt. Brothers at Wyco were Ernie Jack Don. Don left and started his own business Jacks son Robert joined the firm then later on so did John.

countrylad

« Reply #214 on: July 03, 2017, 08:31:55 AM »
Hi bes, great to hear from someone so closely associated with Wyco. You have filled in a few gaps in my memory regarding names.

My recollections are that Ernie had a Mark 2 or an S Type Jag, maroon in colour. Robert had several old British sports cars, I think an MGA which was grey or blue in colour, an MGB GT, ? gold or beige, I think Robert or John had a Mark 2 or 3 Triumph Sptifire. One of the lads (not sure if it was one of the brothers)  also had a mark 1 Cortina, dark green the first part of the Registration was 'BRA'. Then again I may be miles off with the colours....

Another name that has come back to me is Howard, one of the Engineers at Wyco.  They were a great team at Wyco, and turned out some incredible pieces of engineering.

I wonder if any of the brothers remember when Wyco was struck by lightening in 72/3? The lighting hit the building at the back and sent an electrical display along all the steel girders. Luckily no one was hurt. 

Another significant event that they may remember in 72/3 is when one of the mechanics at the Garage jumped into a car that we had just put a clutch in and started it. The car was in reverse gear, the mechanic had his foot full on the throttle. The car shot back out of the workshop & onto the forecourt demolishing the closed workshop doors and narrowly missing the petrol pumps. Again no one hurt, just pride a bit dented.

countrylad               

Ted morris

« Reply #215 on: August 10, 2017, 01:31:21 PM »
Hi there I'm 81 now so a bit old for some of you I lived in 23 Pitfield road 1949 until 53 went to school in Marston Green,remember some great times in fastmoor oval we had a bike speedway track down the bottom, in 53 I went into the army and never retuned to Brum I have family there and visit some times still love it there
 :D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #216 on: August 10, 2017, 01:35:11 PM »
Hi Ted

Welcome to the forum, at 81 your only a baby compared to a couple of posters we have on here, you don't say where you live now. It's not Wales is it, as it seems that half our forum now lives out there.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ted morris

« Reply #217 on: August 10, 2017, 02:45:41 PM »
Hi Ted

Welcome to the forum, at 81 your only a baby compared to a couple of posters we have on here, you don't say where you live now. It's not Wales is it, as it seems that half our forum now lives out there.
Hi Ted

Ted morris

« Reply #218 on: August 10, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
Hi Phil you are right when I went into the Army in 53 I never returned to brum I have family there and sometimes visit

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #219 on: August 10, 2017, 03:52:42 PM »
Ted

Did you mean I am right and you live in Wales now?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy