Author Topic: TILE CROSS  (Read 93619 times)

Batch

Re: TILE CROSS
« Reply #220 on: December 27, 2017, 05:36:17 PM »
Hi Paul Mann. Yes I remember your dad. I was head paper boy in 1966 and I worked in the shop! I was there for the opening of Crossroads when Noele Gordon opened it!! I went on the trips to various air shows but always in a coach not a plane!! I also remember your grandad mum and older brother!! My name is John Batchelor and I lived in Briddsland Road. I certainly didn’t sell the shop to your dad!! I think the Sheasby’s did!!

Batch

« Reply #221 on: December 28, 2017, 10:12:24 PM »
Hi Paul Mann. Yes I remember your dad. I was head paper boy in 1966 and I worked in the shop! I was there for the opening of Crossroads when Noele Gordon opened it!! I went on the trips to various air shows but always in a coach not a plane!! I also remember your grandad mum and older brother!! My name is John Batchelor and I lived in Briddsland Road. I certainly didn’t sell the shop to your dad!! I think the Sheasby’s did!!

eco1943

« Reply #222 on: May 12, 2018, 08:20:11 AM »
Hi eco1943,
I find your posts very interesting as you build up a history of a place you grew up in (and thought you knew) but, actually you don't.

So, please, keep them coming. As regards Tile Cross Primary, I only knew it when it was long built and have fond memories. It's good that we are preserving these for historians in the future.
Kind Regards

Hello Gary,  I know its been a while since you posted this, but I was reading some of the old post's and came across this that I don't remember reading before,  its the first line about me thinking I knew about the place but actually I didn't,  could you tell me what you actually meant.
Regards Eco 1943

Sidecarsid

« Reply #223 on: July 19, 2019, 06:27:23 AM »
Hi Phil.
I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that there never was a station at Tile Cross, maybe you where thinking of Marston Green, I too knew a couple who lived in the new houses on the corner of Holly Lane and Station Rd across from the station called Jullie and I think it was Terry, Jullie worked in the tavern, she was a very lovely person, She was the one I thought was still working after time, it turned out to be a GHOST!!

swadblue

« Reply #224 on: December 08, 2020, 05:57:15 PM »
Hi MaryR
Are you Mary Randall(?)
I remember being friends with a Mary around 1961-3 when I lived in Pitfield Rd number 6.
Mary went off to Saltley Grammar, I went to Sir Wilfred Martineau. My biggest memory was the winter of ‘62/63 where we had a great time being off school and playing out in the snow. I hope it is you and that you see this post
Regards
Robert Dunn (Bob)

Foxed

« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2021, 09:28:41 PM »
New to this forum but does anyone remember making a trolley out of a plank and pram wheels? After making it, all piling on it going crazy down Fastmoor Oval ending in a pile-up somewhere by the brook. We must have been made of rubber nobody seemed ever to get hurt. And how about bonfire night. We lit the fuse of our bangers, wait while it fizzed in our hands and throw it just before exploding. Its a wonder we still have hands when we simply guessed when the banger went off. We were fearless and crazy in them days. Thankfully we kept safe, later grew up and developed a brain.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2021, 01:58:33 PM »
Hi Foxed welcome to our forum you'll find it good fun.Yes we were naughty children ,but didn't we have fun not like today's kids.Used to spend Nov5 over  by Lea Hall railway Station with our fire cans lighting our fireworks,as my mates all lived over that way.Used to go to Lea Village School up to 1954.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

frederick

« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2021, 02:13:17 PM »
Out walking yesterday and we saw a young lad climbing a tree, you see much of that now do we.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Foxed

« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2021, 07:25:39 PM »
Hi Edmund Fifield, Yes I'm quite familiar with Lea Hall. I went to Sir Wilfred Martineau school and had some friends in Lea Hall/ Lea Village. I remember a time my mother took me to go food shopping at Lea Village regularly. One particular time mum took me into the butchers there, and while she was making up her mind what to get I happened to look down on the floor. Right there before my very eyes was a 10 bob note. Because of living in a tin hut (prefab) and barely our family surviving from one week to the next on the pittance we had, finding 10 bob seemed a fortune. However it was not mine so I handed it in to the butcher. He said if nobody has claimed it in two weeks then its mine. Waiting anxiously for two weeks was painful, but it finally came. I asked the bitcher if anyone has claimed the money. He said No! here you are son its yours. WOW! You could have knocked me over with a feather. Funny thing, my memory only goes to that point. I have no idea what I done with it. Funny old life isn't it. The less we had in the 50s the more we would appreciate it. In the 21st century the more we have, the more we seem to take for granted. Having said that I would not want to go back to being brought up rough and living the most basic way of life you could imagine. Crabby sheets turned to ice on a washing line, a mangle in the garden and coats or something piled high on my bed in winter to keep me warm instead of blankets. I think I'll take things for granted and live out my remaining years in a cosy sort of way.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #229 on: January 13, 2021, 05:15:11 PM »
New to this forum but does anyone remember making a trolley out of a plank and pram wheels? After making it, all piling on it going crazy down Fastmoor Oval ending in a pile-up somewhere by the brook. We must have been made of rubber nobody seemed ever to get hurt. And how about bonfire night. We lit the fuse of our bangers, wait while it fizzed in our hands and throw it just before exploding. Its a wonder we still have hands when we simply guessed when the banger went off. We were fearless and crazy in them days. Thankfully we kept safe, later grew up and developed a brain.

Yes, the trolleys were great. Once, we could not find enough pram wheels so we made a 3 wheeler.

Regarding the bangers, I had one go off in my bare hand with a deafening bang and then a searing pain. I was very relieved when a torchlight revealed that I still had all my fingers although it took a few days before the burns went. Taught me not to show off to the girls.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #230 on: January 13, 2021, 05:27:59 PM »
Did anyone else make a firecan out of a TATE&LYLE SYRUP TIN AND SOME WIRE. Just knock a few holes in the tin put the wire in the top, a bit of wood and you had a can to keep you warm and light your bangers and carry round all night
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy