Author Topic: bus garages in brum  (Read 76968 times)

bogbrush

Re: bus garages in brum
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2011, 08:39:54 PM »
Hi again Brian,

Lloyd later added this little bit of extra information along with two more photos.

Phil

I should add that for its last few months in Birmingham, AEC Q AHX 63 was painted in the 'conventional' livery, as seen below. The other view is of it in Yeomans' colours, running in Hereford. (The bus in front, just visible, is another ex-Birmingham vehicle, AEC Regent OG 371).

Folks may be intrigued to know that AHX 63 lives on as a 1:76 scale model by Original Omnibus, in BCT livery and is available with route 16 and 1A destination boards. Google on "OOC" to find out more.

My late grandfather was a driving instructor for BCT and ended his career as an inspector running one of the garages - I will have to check with my mum which one but I used to visit him at Selly Oak. They would never let a bus out with body damage of any kind, and they would paint the tyres black as part of a service. This was in the days you could not buy tyre paint from a car accessory shop.

It is possible to collect quite a few commercially produced models of BCT buses.

bogbrush

« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2011, 08:41:41 PM »
This type of single decker bus ran on the 27 route because of the low bridges. Andy Capp

Yes I used to go to school on these - Northfield to Cartland Road, Kings Heath. You can see this particular bus at the Wythall museum and it is immaculate.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2011, 08:46:53 PM »
Hi bogbrush,

Welcome to the forum, as I explained Lloyd who answered the questions for me is quite heavily involved with the Transport Museum at Wythall.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2011, 03:06:46 PM »
This type of single decker bus ran on the 27 route because of the low bridges. Andy Capp

I used to go to work on these in the early 60's.      Mornings only, on the 15/16/17 routes to Yardley, via Small Heath where I was living.      No low bridges on this route so I guess they used them because they were spare at the time.      Lovely buses.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

johnbird

« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2011, 03:23:34 PM »
My Friend Tom has finished his model of a BCT garage.
I have posted 3 pictures here....

http://johnbird1408.fotopic.net/p62913716.html

Let me know what you all think.
Now that Fotopic has gone I will re post when I have put the photos on a new site.
Growing old is compulsory, Growing up is not!

chrishillcox

« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2012, 10:41:22 PM »
A wartime grey painted 1930 Vulcan body AEC Regent OG 421. The last without the platform cutaway and opening upstairs rear window. It is pulling a producer gas trailer in 1943.

Phil, is there any chance I could re post this picture on voices of Kingstanding web site to see iif anyone recalls these buses?
Many Thanks
Chris HIllcox

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2012, 11:56:46 AM »
Chris

As I have no idea now where I got the photo from in the first place and the fact that it has been on here for over two years now without complaint, I can't see what harm there would be in doing what you ask, but you will understand that I can't give permission to use a photo that isn't mine.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2012, 01:35:14 PM »
Seeing this thread about bus garages in brum, reminds me of the time back in the mid to late 70s when I worked for a wholesale butchers at Longbridge. I had a round delivering to shops, cafe's, factories. I also delivered at least 3 times a week to some BCT bus depot canteens.  These were,  Selly oak, Harborne, Quinton and Hart's Hill garages.  I also serviced the Midland Red depot canteens in Cradley heath and Stourbridge.  I recall that in c.1976  there was a long line of buses (the platrorm with conductor type)  outside the front part of the garage, these were all for sale. You had to leave a sealed bid for the one('s) you wanted to buy, the highest bidder at close of bidding got the bus('s). I wished at the time that I had somewhere to park one, I would have loved to have had one. They sold for on average for £375. so I was informed, a fair amount of money way back then, but what a bargain.     My old man worked at one time at the Mosely Rd garage, he was a conductor, and some times worked in the cashier's office there.

I do have a drivers badge, a chrome bell push (push once to stop), conductors leather cash satchel, old red plastic tockens (some kids got them in the 50s for bus travel to school) busmans uniform, and some of the old roller type destination blinds, Mosely village etc.  I Have well over 200 model buses, inc some in BCT livery. I have recently sold my old ticket machines.
                                                                                                                                                              Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

planetmalc

« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »
I looked through a variety of bus & tram books, and they came up with bus garages at:-

Acocks Green
Barford Street
Birchfield Road
Bournbrook (Dawlish Road)
Cotteridge
Coventry Road/Arthur Street
Harborne
Highgate Road
Hockley
Lea Hall
Liverpool Street
Miller Street
Moseley Road
Perry Barr
Quinton
Rosebery Street
Selly Oak
Tennant Street
Washwood Heath
Yardley Wood

Concerning some of the other posts on this thread:-

Post #10  -  The photo of the 6 austerity buses at Yardley Wood Garage (Left-to-right #1437, 1440, 1375, 1403, 1376 & 1439) was taken on 1/11/44.

Posts #27 & 29  -  Bus #1845 (HOV 845) was withdrawn in 1968.   Adverts on BCT buses (some on brand-new buses) first appeared on 1/1/53.     A London company  -  Frank Mason & Co.  -  won a 5-year contract to oversee all this, with BCT taking between 70 & 75% of all the revenue (which was expected to raise between £45k - £60k p.a.), and Mason's taking the rest.    By 1953, BCT had a total deficiency of £722,107, so the adverts revenue was sorely needed; in spite of this, however, free passes for OAPs, and those on National Assistance, were introduced on 3/5/53.

Post #50  -  The shot of the 4 trams in Witton Depot (left-to-right #377, 337, 152 & 340) was taken on 22/3/39.

Posts #58 & 59  -  It would appear that the prototype 'Q' bus, AHX 63, did NOT have any kind of front door to keep the weather out.    Lovely!

Post #79  -  It is not obvious from the photo that AEC demonstrator 2211 MK had a front entrance, unlike the other one, 9 JML, which had a rear entrance.     9 JML was purchased by BCT in 1957 and withdrawn in 1969.    There was, briefly, a 3rd AEC demonstrator, 159 JHX (a Regent 5), which was loaned to BCT in June 1956 and which worked mainly on the #14 route.    Appearance-wise, it looked similar to 9 JML, but never carried BCT livery.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

colin walker12

« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2013, 04:10:56 PM »
i worked at moseley rd garage in the 60s and i regualy worked 80 hours a week

Terry D

« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2015, 02:56:29 PM »
Readers may be interested to know that there is a Brum expat who has commissioned a series of very authentic models of BCT buses from the 1950s era. His name is Derek Perry, he comes originally from Selly Oak and although he now lives in the South East, he has never lost his love of Birmingham.

If you would like to own an authentic looking model of a Birmingham bus, check out "Forward Models". I'm sure I don't need to tell you the significance of the name! I can recommend the models, because I own 10 of them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy