Author Topic: bus garages in brum  (Read 76947 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: bus garages in brum
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 09:09:37 PM »
hi 9teen48
                  thanks for the info i had got it in my head that three rings on the bell was an emergency stop  one for stop two for go and three put um through the windows i learnt a long time ago ring the bell to stop and stay seated until the bus stops i got up once to get off be for the stop and a car pulled out and the driver hit the brakes i ended up on the platform on my back side i was not hurt it was my own fault but i was lucky  
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 09:24:36 PM »
The last time I was on a bus, there was a lady with a bag of money around her neck and a sort of machine that she kept strumming with her thumb. She rang the bell for me so I didn't have to exert myself. She also kept saying something like "tickets please". I just said no thanks I don't want one and got off the bus. Was she selling tickets to a concert she was practising for on that thing around her neck?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 09:29:55 PM »
hi Phil was there a man walking in front of the bus with a red flag

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »
No but there was a horse pulling the bus.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 09:51:38 PM »
phil that was not a horse it was my mother inlaw it was only till the horse got better roy

9teen48

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 10:20:37 PM »
Roy,

You've got me thinking now about three rings !  One thing I do remember when we were kids on the bus and someone upstairs rang the bell about 20 times, that definitely was an emergency stop and we all got chucked off the bus !

Phil,

Nice to see the depots either with trams or buses, if we try we might be able to find photos of most of them.

Brian

9teen48

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 10:46:08 PM »
Selly Oak and Cotteridge depots.

9teen48

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 10:53:52 PM »
Here is Washwood Heath depot

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 10:56:35 PM »
hi 9teen48
                    may be you will know this the number 11 bus rout is the longest rout that w/t do  is it 22miles round trip when i was a kid that was a Sunday afternoon trip now and then  Roy

9teen48

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 11:10:31 PM »
Hi Roy,

26 miles long, about two and one half hours duration and yes, a great Sunday afternoon treat to go all the way around.  I used it mainly from King's Heath to Cotteridge, or Selly Oak or Harborne on the outer ring and from King's Heath to Swanshurst or Acocks Green or Stechford on the inner ring, depending which relative we were visiting or as I said before, going with my dad to his depot at Harborne.

Here is a shot of the back entrance to Harborne garage in Lonsdale Road.

Brian

Abt

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 07:47:28 AM »
Drivers used to bang the top of their steering wheel so that oncoming buses knew they had an Inspector on board.
Usually only one Inspector in any vicinity so if he was on your bus he was no threat to  other drivers who wanted a ciggie .

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy