Author Topic: bus garages in brum  (Read 76944 times)

denise

Re: bus garages in brum
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2009, 08:56:55 PM »

;D   Posting pics can be a nightmare sometimes   ;D

denise

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »
Daft question but is this an old bus,my husband tried to snap it as I drove down the motorway a few weeks back....it looked old when I overtook it but was too quick for a picture.

vin t

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
Some drivers still wear dust jackets.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2009, 10:32:43 PM »
Denise

It's a pity you didn't get the fleet number of the bus. Some people can tell you the entire working history of the bus from that. I know nothing about buses other than they provide a valuable service. Could it be a Daimler?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 11:32:54 PM »
Daft question but is this an old bus,my husband tried to snap it as I drove down the motorway a few weeks back....it looked old when I overtook it but was too quick for a picture.
Hi Denise,

It looks like a former BCT/WMPTE Daimler Fleetline, the rear engined buses which ran in Brum from the early 1960s.  Where were you when you snapped it ?

Brian

denise

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2009, 11:39:41 PM »
We were on the M5 going towards Tewksbury from Brum (I THINK).

There were about four of them but by the time we had got the phone out to take a picture we missed the opportunity.

9teen48

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 11:45:05 PM »
At least you got one of them !

Do you remember the previous generation of buses in Brum ? -  this is what it looked like as you walked up the gangway from the platform.

Brian

denise

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2009, 11:48:15 PM »
How things change.I can remember sitting up behind the driver in his cab at the front.

Vin t .......that guy looks very dapper in his dust jacket.  :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2009, 09:18:11 AM »
At least you got one of them !

Do you remember the previous generation of buses in Brum ? -  this is what it looked like as you walked up the gangway from the platform.
Brian

Brian

That's what they looked like last time I used a bus with any regularity. Only being a smoker then I always used the upper deck. It was like a welcoming blue fog up there and had a smell all of its own, especially on a rainy day.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2009, 09:45:23 AM »
I remember after a days work and standing in the wet and cold waiting for the bus.So nice to go upstairs and sit in the steany warmth and light a ciggie.........relaxxxxx   :) :) :)

9teen48

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2009, 07:24:38 PM »
Denise and Phil,

Amazing how a picture of the interior of our old buses evokes such memories.  I guess all of us ex-smokers recall that ascent up the stairs on a cold, wet night, when the blue fog of cigarette smoke met you.  Everyone coughing and spluttering, the old large format Birmingham Mail spread out by someone sitting next to you, and the conductor working his (or her) way up the bus collecting the fairs.  the windows all steamed up, running with water.  Magic then but I don't think I could cope with that now !  I'd be on those sideways seats downstairs where the draught in the winter nearly cut you in two.

Vin T

Great to see the Midland Red version of the dust jacket.

Brian

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy