Author Topic: bus garages in brum  (Read 77151 times)

9teen48

Re: bus garages in brum
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2009, 08:30:38 PM »
How things change.I can remember sitting up behind the driver in his cab at the front.

Vin t .......that guy looks very dapper in his dust jacket.  :)
Denise,

When I was a kid I liked to sit behind the driver, especially if you could see through to the road ahead.  If you remember, at night time the driver would drop the blind behind him, in which case all you could see was yourself reflected in the window.  One thing I remember was the sign in the cab, above the windscreen, with instructions to the driver.  I wonder if they still have that on today's buses ? See picture below.

Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2009, 08:44:51 PM »
I'll tell you what driving that number 8 bus every Sunday morning from the upper deck front seat was hard work for a 9 year old.

Can you imagine parents letting their 9 year olds do that now?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2009, 09:41:54 PM »
I always wonder how the bus drivers manage to take money and drive safely as well.

I think they have too much to think about when all drivers need to concentrate on the road.

The old way was the best to my mind.......happy days.

vauxonion

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2009, 09:55:02 PM »
The driver training is not up to much thee days they just tell them to follow the red lines. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2009, 10:04:14 PM »
Denise

Making money shouldn't be the objective, we should be looking for a good efficient clean safe service and it should be free. If these so called Green Councils were true to their beliefs then it would be.

I don't ever use the buses, nor as far as I am aware do any of my extended family on anything like a regular basis. But I am sure none of us would be adverse to paying an extra amount on our Rates or Taxes for such a service. But its only a pipe dream.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

nickcc

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2009, 09:58:01 AM »
Regards the sign in the cab, not there anymore.  Only hand signals are given now days and certainly not the ones that should be given.  After taking my PSV test in 1966 and then my PCV test in 1998 i can assure you that the test, both practical and theory is far harder these days.  Competent drivers should have no problems issuing tickets or taking cash as both are carried out whilst the bus is stationary.  One of the hazards would be looking at the duty board whilst you are driving as all the times for the various stages are written down there.  Still i suppose £7 per hour is a good rate of pay when you can be at work for 50 hours and paid for 37.5 hrs (unpaid breaks account for this difference) and also working 3 shifts for this hourly rate.
Nick

Helston Cornwall

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2009, 12:56:25 PM »
Another  ex tram / bus depot Aston Manor tram Sheds. I believe this is now the site of the Aston Manor Transport Museum. Another part of the history of Birmingham to my shame that I have yet to visit.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2009, 08:31:22 PM »
I don't know if things have changed Phil but I think I heard recently that the Aston manor funding had dried up and they were in danger of closing. Anyone else got any up to date news. ?
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2009, 08:50:41 PM »
SB

I don't know a great deal either, but as usual it looks like Birmingham City Council causing the problem. I think the biggest stumbling block is the £43k a year rent. This is payable to the Council. Up until this year it was always supplied by BMAG also owned by the Council.

I think the Council is pulling a jib because they say funding is available elsewhere if Aston Manor does a little restructuring of the way the museum is run financially. I think all this was still going on as late as last month. I haven't read anything about it lately so it might have been resolved.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2009, 09:12:54 PM »
Thank you sir
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

9teen48

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
This vehicle is hardly recognisable as a BCT bus, however it carries the Birmingham coat of arms. It is an AEC Q demonstrator with an underfloor engine behind the front wheels, 60 seater body with a front entrance.  It entered service in 1933 !  Any ideas which garage it was allocated to ?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy