Author Topic: bus garages in brum  (Read 77155 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: bus garages in brum
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2009, 07:56:36 PM »
i seen an old friend of mine today he was a driver at digbeth up till the mid 80s he was telling me that the midreds times there buses 18mph so if a rout was 18 miles you got an hour to drive it but he did say that you got hang up time(time for a drink and loo or fag) he also told me that some times he had parcels on board and all manor of things he also said that a bus drive was not allowed to move a coach  the coach driver considered him self to be a cut above a bus driver
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

9teen48

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2009, 11:53:36 PM »
Roy,

Before the war my grandparents used to meet the Midland Red bus at the Bull Ring to collect parcels sent into Brum on the bus.  Usually home grown fruit and veg and occasionally a rabbit from their relatives out at Mickleton.

Brian

9teen48

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2009, 11:59:34 PM »
Does anyone remember these two AEC Bridgemaster buses which ran on the No. 14 route in the late 1950s and 1960's ?  I think they were the only examples in the BCT fleet.  I used to visit my great-aunt at Ward End and I was always fascinated when I got to ride on one of these from the Old Square.

Brian

johnbird

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2009, 02:40:08 PM »
I think I saw it a few times, great looking bus.
Growing old is compulsory, Growing up is not!

johnbird

« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2010, 01:00:09 PM »
A Friend of mine is Building a Card Model of Quinton Bus Garage and is looking for photos of it.
Has anyone got some colour photos of the roof?
Please get in touch with me if you have any!
Growing old is compulsory, Growing up is not!

tramp

« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2010, 04:16:06 PM »
The Bridgemaster was AEC's non LTE version of the Routemaster - which is why it looked as it did

perry commoner

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2010, 11:11:34 PM »
If I may be forgiven for going off at a bit of a tangent, in 1951, our entire school went to the Festival of Britain in London and one of the exhibits was a B.C.T. double decker bus. For some years after, it worked a number of brum routes and it carried on the lower deck bulkhead, behind the driver, a small plaque celebrating the fact that it has been exhibited at the F of B.
Does the bus still survive and if so, where?
You can always tell a brummie but you can't tell him much!

9teen48

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2010, 12:02:56 AM »
Hi Perrycommoner,

I think going off on any BCT associated tangent is fine, we have certainly done so quite a few times under the bus garages in Brum theme.  What an interesting story.  I've never come across that one before.  I don't know if that bus is one of the preserved ones, I would like to think that at least the plaque has been preserved.

Brian

tardebigge

« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »
If I may be forgiven for going off at a bit of a tangent, in 1951, our entire school went to the Festival of Britain in London and one of the exhibits was a B.C.T. double decker bus. For some years after, it worked a number of brum routes and it carried on the lower deck bulkhead, behind the driver, a small plaque celebrating the fact that it has been exhibited at the F of B.
Does the bus still survive and if so, where?
The Bus in Question was JOJ 516 (2516), scarpped in 1969 just before WMPTE takeover.  It is doubtful if the plaque survived; however I do have a picture of it...attached.

9teen48

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2010, 12:21:15 AM »
Tardebigge,

Thanks for confirming the details of the bus exhibited at the Festival of Britain and for a picture of the plaque.  Do you know if there are any shots of the bus at the exhibition ?  I've got the book from the exhibition somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.

Brian

tardebigge

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2010, 03:13:16 AM »
Tardebigge,

Thanks for confirming the details of the bus exhibited at the Festival of Britain and for a picture of the plaque.  Do you know if there are any shots of the bus at the exhibition ?  I've got the book from the exhibition somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.

Brian
Sorry no, only in service mainly on the 2 route

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy