Author Topic: bus garages in brum  (Read 76951 times)

Gordeedoo

Re: bus garages in brum
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2015, 04:09:17 AM »
I was born in my Grandma's house directly opposite Small Heath garage on Coventry road.
I remember as a kid I would sit at the front window taking the numbers of the buses coming and going.
You could get books listing all the numbers and I would check them off.
Sad ain't I  ::)

vamann

« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2015, 03:25:14 PM »
Probably one of the the eye spy books, I had the train spotting one, now where's my anorak:)

planetmalc

« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2015, 04:10:37 PM »
Probably one of the the eye spy books, I had the train spotting one, now where's my anorak:)

More likely to be an Ian Allan ref (they had every fleet number listed in them).     I go back way before anoraks were invented! ;D     
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

SENSIBLE

« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2015, 09:50:49 PM »

More likely to be an Ian Allan ref (they had every fleet number listed in them).     I go back way before anoraks were invented! ;D     

Still got mine. Dated 1950. Cost two and sixpence.   :)
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

SENSIBLE

« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »
Hi Headgardener

Welcome to the forum, sorry I know very little about buses but I would have thought for the dates you give that the bus service was still running under the name of Birmingham City Transport. If that is so then the best place to start looking for the archives would be Birmingham Central Library Archives & Heritage Department.

Birmingham City Transport (BCT) became almegated with West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive  (WMPTE) IN 1969.
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

iansdavies

« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2015, 10:40:41 PM »
hello i was wondering how midland red or bmmo operated our bus services way back in the late 60s on chelmsley wood , we had the 163 169 193 166 161 171 and also through buses such as the 195 160 168 175 ive read 3 garages ran these services digbeth sutton sheepcote street ,did they run at 3 weekly intervals or 3 garages altogether .

Snooks

« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2015, 06:31:01 AM »
Talking about bus garages I seem to remember there being one in Bearwood... And I don't mean the bus station at the Kings Head by Lightwoods Park but the one in Bearwood high street. Can anyone confirm this.

I also, had an older friend locally who went to the same primary school whose father worked on the buses. He worked on the Midland Red and then he became the verger at St. Augustines Church in Edgbaston. His name was Cyril Wiggin and his daughter was Anne.

I remember the cafe at the bus station  very well - they sold great hot dogs!
Onwards and upwards!

Miskin

« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »
Hi Snooks, yes I think you are right about the bus garage on Bearwood Rd, coming from the Hagley Rd end it was down on the right hand side of the road and although I'm not certain I think it may have been turned into a market.
On our way to work we used to have our breakfast most mornings in the little café you mention, I can remember the two ladies than ran it and the smell of the sausage sarnies as if it were yesterday.
Had a good friend Toni Reynalds who lived in Bearwood, we would often go to the disco in the cellar of the Blue Gates down in Smethwick, they had a decent DJ and a dancer, had some great nights in there.
Miskin.

Snooks

« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2015, 11:03:01 AM »
Thanks for confirming that, Miskin and yes... I believe it did become an indoor market.

I used to go to Lightwoods Park a lot in my early teens and remember feeling very grown up going to the Continental Coffee Bar next to the Kings Head. I remember the Chalet club by the Talbot. The name the Blue Gates rings a bell but I never went there.

And the little cafe did great deals on snacks. When I had enough money I would buy something to munch as I waited for the number 9 bus to take me home.

Do you remember anyone else from Bearwood or Smethwick?
Onwards and upwards!

mikejee

« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2015, 12:02:52 PM »
Garage is shown on map below

Miskin

« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2015, 01:15:47 PM »
Hi again Snooks............ Didn't know many folk from around Bearwood just my friend Toni and we would pick her and her friend Wendy up en-route to wherever we were off to.
Used to go in the Chalet quite often and the Crypt round the back of the Kings Head now and again.
If you were catching the number 9 I guess you lived Quinton way? my family lived in Quinton from about 1972 to 77 in Eddison Grove down at the bottom of Gorsey Rd.
These were times in my life that I look back on and remember as good times.
Miskin

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy