Author Topic: bus garages in brum  (Read 77158 times)

Coastal

Re: bus garages in brum
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2015, 06:31:04 PM »
I forgot the one on the Coventry Road, amazing as I went past it most days for the last couple of years, I was based at the old Head Office / Garage at Bordesley Green.
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2015, 08:42:22 PM »
I am sure there was one in Highgate rd also.

Fred

The depot in Highgate Road opened in 1913 as a tram depot, later when the buses took over it became a bus depot. When the bus company no longer had a use for the depot is was used by the ambulance service as a repair & maintenance depot. Later when it was no longer required by the ambulance service it was turned over for industrial use. For a good few years after that it remained empty. Recently a planning application has been submitted to convert it to a convention centre complete with three storey car park, but I understand there is a hiccup with the planning application.

Photos attached, tram depot, bus depot, ambulance depot, exterior today, exterior as planned.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Coastal

« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2015, 09:06:05 PM »
My grandad was a mechanic at Selly Oak Garage, I think he retired in 1953

Do unto others before they do unto you.

Snooks

« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2015, 09:09:28 PM »
Wish there was a like button on some of these posts!
Onwards and upwards!

frederick

« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2015, 10:04:32 AM »
Nice one Phil that's the place. So the building is still there.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2015, 10:21:44 AM »
Fred

Yes the building is still there, but like all old buildings owned by the Council (I'm assuming they do) it's being allowed to fall apart. Somebody is willing to do something with the building and they are being held up by the planning department. I read that The conference centre will contain a banqueting suite and a restaurant a three storey car park for 160 cars and provide 50 jobs. Planning is being objected to on the grounds of, lack of parking, loss of industrial premises and impact on the local residents.

It's madness have any of this planning committee ever visited the site I wonder or are they just churning out the same old time worn excuses.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mw0njm

« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2019, 04:39:59 PM »
Does anyone remember these two AEC Bridgemaster buses which ran on the No. 14 route in the late 1950s and 1960's ?  I think they were the only examples in the BCT fleet.  I used to visit my great-aunt at Ward End and I was always fascinated when I got to ride on one of these from the Old Square.

Brian
i remember them joining the no 14 buses, i would wait for one on my way home. from kitts green. to saltley.

mike mancott

« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2019, 05:03:30 PM »
Before Washwood Heath Depot became just for buses, it was of course for trams.
When I was about aged 12, some boy at school told me that If I wrote to the the depot manager I could get a permit to visit.
So I wrote, and received the permit, and on the appointed visit day was taken around the depot, no parents in tow.
I was taken down into the inspection pit under a tram, and although I didn`t understand much of what I saw, generally felt it had been worth doing.   

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2019, 08:42:08 PM »
the road in flood

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terry D

« Reply #163 on: November 30, 2019, 09:21:56 AM »
i remember them joining the no 14 buses, i would wait for one on my way home. from kitts green. to saltley.
I was at college in Birmingham in 1965/6 and 9 JML was a regular favourite climbing Corporation St from the Aston direction on the 14 service. It was the better looking of the two Bridgemasters that BCT tried, having a Crossley body. The later one 2211 MK had a front entrance (Metro-Cammell or Park Royal?) body and was not pretty! 9 JML was bought by BCT who eventually (wisely) replaced the inadequate 7.7 litre engine with a 9.6 AV590. 2211 MK was only borrowed on trial and BCT sent it back fairly shortly.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #164 on: November 30, 2019, 08:35:52 PM »
When I left school in Dec 54, my first job was a painter for Smiths on the Statford Rd. We painted the new bus depot in Crossfield Rd ,Kitts Green.I painted all the pipework in the ceiling.Is it still there?
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy