Author Topic: i sat in a spitfire when i was 12  (Read 856 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
i sat in a spitfire when i was 12
« on: December 24, 2006, 01:37:43 AM »
i sat in a spitfire when i was 12 that was a long time ago the spitfire
was in a place called studly nr to redditch on the Birmingham to alcester road the man who owned it was mr g hill not the racing driver just the same name and for a short time i was flying it like kids do it did not mean a lot at the time nore did the war i knew we had won   and it had cost me my dad and then a voice said get out of that bloody thing what do you think your doing just looking i said well you get off home you little sod  just my luck shot down now i look back and think how lucky i was and now i would give my right arm to fly in one or just sit in one  it was a winner
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

John_Lerwill

Re: i sat in a spitfire when i was 12
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 09:43:36 AM »
...now i would give my right arm to fly in one or just sit in one  it was a winner

As Bader gave both his legs...  ;)

Yes, a marvellous plane. And here we go again - seems that we all have a penchant for flying!

I've not had the fortune to get inside any of the famed planes. My earliest remembrance of planes, though, was when I was 3 (1947) - visiting my uncle at Ruislip he took us to RAF Northolt for a flying display, and I still have a vision of a Lancaster or Lincoln taxiing within 40 or 50 yards of us I suppose, and the pilot leaning out of the cockpit and giving us all the thumbs-up sign.

A few years later, we had a university student lodging with us, and he turned out to be a mad-hat about planes. He had a huge collection of old aviation magazines which he gave to me! Marvellous. Another student lodger gave me his stamp collection, so I did pretty well from their stays!
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy