Author Topic: The number 8 bus route  (Read 14666 times)

Scipio

Re: The number 8 bus route
« Reply #220 on: July 21, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »
Going on from Scipio's post and the Stephanie Baird  murder it must have been pretty  gruesome and the time there were  lots of stories doing the rounds about the actual details. But shortly afterwards I was working with a man who was an ex butcher and along with many other butchers was interviewed in connection with the murder he was one of the meekest and mildest of blokes you could wish to meet and was quickly eliminated from enquires. I cannot remember did they ever catch the culprit?

Yes Spud they did, Patrick Joseph Byrne was the murderer , please note that while he and his mother were watching the late night news he actually said in front of his mother" what a good job he had done ". He was tried in January 1960 if memory serves

townie

« Reply #221 on: July 22, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »
You can read more on this story if you type into google or some other search engine ([font=] Patrick Joseph Byrne was the murderer[/font] )
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

4orchard

« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2018, 12:08:38 PM »
I remember the no8 we called it the all. Way round  I can't remember how long it took but I suppose it took an hour or more. It cost us two old pennies and we used to catch it from Saltley gste .like others it was a big decision as to which way to go we always. Made for the upstairs at the front of the bus does the no8 still go ? I might use my pass and and have a go to bring back memories

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2018, 12:27:17 PM »
4 Orchard,

Yes the number 8 route still runs the full route as far as I am aware, but I don't think you would recognise much of it today.
Make Love Not War

Coastal

« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »
And if it's the same as when I left, going upstairs won't be an option  ;D

Also of course, like the Outer Circle (11A & 11C) the Inner Circle (8A & 8C) has an inner ring and an outer ring (A Anticlockwise and C Clockwise) the easiest way to distinguish the two is, the A or Inner Ring is nearest to the City Centre  O0
📷 My photos on Flickr 📷 https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

✳ The mind is like a filing cabinet ........ but I seem to have misplaced the key ✳

astoness

« Reply #225 on: September 03, 2018, 06:29:13 PM »
slight re routing when it gets to H SAMUELS hunters road...goes up well st crosses over gt hampton st and up vyse st in the jewellery quarter does a right at warstone lane then a left onto icknield st...

lyn