Author Topic: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham  (Read 183087 times)

Spud

Re: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham
« Reply #330 on: January 16, 2017, 11:17:10 AM »
Re Redingtons Rare Records. I am not sure that Danny Reddington  is still trading even on line trading altogether now after a Heart Problem.

The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

cocacolakid

« Reply #331 on: January 16, 2017, 12:17:08 PM »
Re Redingtons Rare Records. I am not sure that Danny Reddington  is still trading even on line trading altogether now after a Heart Problem.

Spud..

You may well be correct, I was not sure, hence the ?

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

jamesm

« Reply #332 on: January 16, 2017, 12:19:59 PM »
Quote from: cocacolakid link=topic=3794.msg560236#msg560236 date=o1484563495
The record shop that used to be in Cherry St (if that is what you are meaning)  was Reddingtons Rare Records, owned by Danny Reddington. The last I heard, was that he had moved to premises in Redditch, some years ago. I think he only sells records on line these days?  His shop was not in an ally in Cherry St, it was in Cherry St itself, On the l/h side as you go from  the Rackhams building.

Malc.
No Malc, I was talking about a shop called James Pass & Co. They sold musical instruments, sheet music etc. The shop was located in Cherry Street itself and not in any passage or alleyway. I hope this makes things clear

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #333 on: January 16, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »
I remember his last shop in Digbeth opposite the police station, I also remember him giving away records free. He piled the boxes outside the shop with a notice saying help yourself.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/reddingtons-rare-records-closing-good-7596476
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #334 on: January 16, 2017, 12:42:43 PM »
No Malc, I was talking about a shop called James Pass & Co. They sold musical instruments, sheet music etc. The shop was located in Cherry Street itself and not in any passage or alleyway. I hope this makes things clear

jamesm..

Thanks, it is clear now.  I have heard the name James Pass, I believe he is/was a musician, but I don't know anything about a shop in Cherry St, by that name.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #335 on: January 16, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »
Here we have Fore Street and Cannon Passage, Fire Street runs from New Street to Cannon Street and Cannon Passage ran from Cannon Street to Needless Alley. Both photos from the John Ball collection.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #336 on: January 16, 2017, 01:52:47 PM »
I still have classical guitar sheet music that I bought from the James Pass shop back in the 70s.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #337 on: January 16, 2017, 02:03:52 PM »
Warwick Passage that runs from Union Street to Corporation Street another photo by John Ball.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #338 on: January 16, 2017, 02:23:38 PM »
St Jude's passage that ran between St Jude's Church and the Albany Hotel on Hill Street another photo by John Ball.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #339 on: January 16, 2017, 02:28:46 PM »
One more, Swan passage that ran from the High Street at the top of the Bull Ring to Worcester Street, I suppose it started out as no more than a service entrance for the Swan Hotel on New Street. The area is now covered by the Rotunda.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #340 on: January 17, 2017, 07:35:55 PM »
A gang of well known lads taking a short cut from the Odeon down a service alley to the Queens Hotel on Stephenson Street the start and end of the route is marked with a red "X" on the map.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy