Author Topic: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham  (Read 183697 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham
« Reply #429 on: February 20, 2018, 12:23:24 PM »
Another alley that has now disappeared under the new Birmingham, tough this one has been replaced in name a little further up the road. Cannon Passage ran from Cannon Street to Needless Alley opposite the end of Fore Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #430 on: February 21, 2018, 03:05:45 PM »
Coleridge Passage runs from Corporation Street to Steelhouse Lane along the side of Victoria Law Courts.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #431 on: February 22, 2018, 12:45:17 PM »
Coleridge Passage runs from Corporation Street to Steelhouse Lane along the side of Victoria Law Courts.
I've used that many a time.
Another alley that has now disappeared under the new Birmingham, tough this one has been replaced in name a little further up the road. Cannon Passage ran from Cannon Street to Needless Alley opposite the end of Fore Street.
When did that cease to be used?
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #432 on: February 22, 2018, 03:48:41 PM »
Judith

I'm sorry but I am unable to give you a definitive answer from memory, but it would have been about the time when they remodelled the top end of Cannon Street and Needless Alley, when was that the late 70's early 80's? As I have said often after the early 70's I've hardly ever been into the city.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #433 on: February 23, 2018, 01:25:09 PM »
Judith

I'm sorry but I am unable to give you a definitive answer from memory, but it would have been about the time when they remodelled the top end of Cannon Street and Needless Alley, when was that the late 70's early 80's? As I have said often after the early 70's I've hardly ever been into the city.
Thanks. 

It's just that it looked familiar & I wasn't sure whether it was just my imagination.  If it wasn't altered until the late '70's or early '80's (around the time the City Plaza shopping centre was built I guess) then I would have actually seen & used it & not just seen it in photo's.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #434 on: February 25, 2018, 03:49:06 PM »
Cheyne Walk a passage that still runs between Greenfield Road and St Mary's Road in Harborne at the back of the High Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Carole 1

« Reply #435 on: March 02, 2018, 11:07:41 AM »
My mom God bless her worked at Harry Montys as a young girl,her name was Rita Goodyear she lived on Osborne Road Sparkhill

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #436 on: March 02, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »
Hi carol

Welcome to you, when did your mom work at Harry Monty's? Perhaps she was one of the young girls that we used to try to chat up in their dinner hour. Though the name doesn't mean anything to me and I don't recall knowing anybody from Osborne Road at tat time.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #437 on: March 02, 2018, 10:15:42 PM »

Phil don't know if you remember us talking about Communication Row , at the time I mentioned another I was waiting to come up on this thread but didn't . I incorrectly spelt it as Checkers Walk , when it is actually Chequers Walk , I also found a picture of it . It started on Granville St , went up the back of A Berkeley , then a garage , then the mission a hostel for men. On up past the back of St Thomas's
school that was all on the left hand side going up, on the right were houses , some sort of courtyard , with a cafe in the foreground then under a bit of a walkover from one building to another of which you passed under then you reached Bath Row
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #438 on: March 03, 2018, 11:01:09 AM »
Scipio

Have I not covered Chequers Walk on this thread, I thought I had. It was exactly as you say. Here are three images and part of the OS map C1950. They show the covered entrance on Bath Row, the courtyard area and the houses beyond.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #439 on: March 11, 2018, 03:34:01 PM »
Scipio

Another one in your neck of the woods, Cleve Terrace that ran from Wheelers Lane to Owen Street and disappeared mid sixties I think.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy