Author Topic: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham  (Read 183066 times)

astrablue

Re: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2010, 07:06:21 PM »
page three photo of shut lane by phil looks like its got an angel in the top centre of the pic :-\
I am one
but im only one
cant do everything
but can do something
i do what i can do
and what i can do
i ought to do !

denise

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2010, 08:05:15 PM »
Oh yes so it does  ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »
Its the ghostly fallen angel of Shut Lane.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2010, 09:19:18 PM »
Its the ghostly fallen angel of Shut Lane.

Phil

You on about my granny again,? ;D

In the still of the night as the wind blows its mornful tune, the windows rattle as if tapped by human hand, shaddows fall across the cobble stones,... what was it that walked the cobbles of shut lane late at night, with only the moon to show the way, what was it, what is moving in the shaddows where the light never goes.............................nothing... I made it up. ;) O0 ,
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2010, 10:37:05 PM »
Who remembers this one then, Eden Place that used to run from Colmore Row to Edmund Street down the side of the Council House (is it still there?)

Do any of you remember the little old pavement artist that used to sit at the Edmund St end of the passage. I was told that he was the only beggar in Birmingham that had a license to beg on the street.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2010, 11:23:35 PM »
Phil,

I remember it, as it was a 'handy place' cut through, but couldn't have put a name to it - wasn't it paved with old stone flags years back? If so, it'd be interesting to know who got their hands on them!

tramp

jaykay

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2010, 07:14:30 AM »
I went past last Saturday and thought about it, no longer there I'm afraid, but took a photo of the building you can see at the end.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2010, 10:36:10 AM »
John1

Thanks for the info, I haven't been past there in years. I didn't think that it would be still there.

Tramp

Yes I remember it being flags, they would have been taken to the local council depot and sold on. I remember the passage being much narrower as well.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2010, 08:55:05 PM »
Phil,

That's right!!, I knew ''summat dint look right'' - it was the width, thanks, like the name, I'd not have figured it out.   But when you wrote ''Eden'', it flooded back - the Council buildings I'll never forget, but, in my case at least because they and the flags stayed in mind, I completely forget the width until you mentioned it now. O0

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2010, 11:45:54 AM »
Another much altered view today, it's Doctor Johnson Passage off Bull Street at the back of what was then Lewis's. In fact it looks like the photo was taken from Lewis's.

This passage and courtyard housed The Friends Meeting House (Quaker) and burial grounds. Many members of Birmingham's  eminent families were buried here such as the Cadbury's.

Though I understand now that the buildings have been demolished and the interred have been moved to another cemetery.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2010, 12:19:27 PM »
Phil,

Did you hear the old wives' tale that if Dr Johnson caught you there at night ......you were buried, there and then?

tramp

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy