Author Topic: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham  (Read 183045 times)

tramp

Re: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 11:43:26 PM »
Phil, these awaken so many childhood memories - as a lad I really liked alleys, they were great for slipping away, legging it and saying ''I must have got lost'' when I got back from town 3 or 4 hours after 'her' i.e. mom.  Needless was a favourite for that O0   but Orchard Rd was the one we could all have done without..

tramp

sheldonboy

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 04:57:05 AM »
Needless alley is of course still there, until a few years ago there was a great Eat In  Fish and Chip shop there. Anyone remember it ?
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 08:53:55 PM »
What about this one for you Hockley and Ladywood people. It's Camden Drive it ran from Legge St to Camden St near the bottom of the hill.

Phi
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 09:56:28 PM »
That brings back memories, I used to work in Camden St. in the sixties.  What a memory.   SB
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 10:13:31 PM »
This one has been discussed on site before, I think J2 has some sort of family connection. It's Shut Lane that used to run up the side of Moor St Station from Park Rd.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »
Yes, Phil, when my grandmothers family back in 1850-1855, come over from Ireland  they lived there Nr 12, ( I bet the rats where as big as cats ), what a place to live, mind you when you see where some of the Irish familes lived back home, it must have seemed like paradice..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 11:21:15 PM »
Handy for the train John

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 05:57:46 AM »
Phil true, but to see what it was really like have a look at Castle St which is/was just across the road  from the station, ( in fact you can still walk down there today),
Shutt Lane back then had no paving or street lighting, and in 1852 the Governors of King Edward offered to put a school in the lane for the education of the children, but on seeing the conditions in the lane decided to put the school in Cannon St..... the more I dig, the worse it gets....J2 :-\
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

oznow

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 08:58:11 AM »
Passages and Alleyways would still strike a touch of fear in to me today when I see the old photo's of how they were in the old days, I remember my mother always saying "Stay out of those alleys or someone will murder you", I always thought one day 'Jack the Ripper' would come out of the darkness and get me.

O0 .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2009, 04:57:21 PM »
This one is just the other side of Park St to Shut Lane. It's Shaw's Passage. Most of the one side of the buildings on this narrow road have now been demolished.

A process that was started by myself when we demolished the workshops and freezers at the ice cream factory in Allison St in the 70's.

It certainly looks easier to navigate now. I can't ever remember it being a one way street. If you met a vehicle coming in the opposite direction you had to reverse all the way back out.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mw0njm

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2009, 05:12:10 PM »
hi. i worked in a foundry which was in shaws passage.next door was the hot dog cart storage yard.Op our door was francis the market people.one day them and the police were trying catch  a huge spider down the passage.it was in a box of fruit.and jumped out.
                      pete

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy