Author Topic: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham  (Read 183067 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham
« Reply #319 on: January 13, 2017, 03:38:10 PM »
Just need a little help on this one as I cant find New Meeting Street on my 54 map unless they couldn't fit the wording in as there does seem to be a gap in the roads. Does the road on the left lead up to Station Street and the one on the right lead to Worcester Street?

As the street under discussion was Old Meeting Street this was obviously a typo on my part. We were also talking about the area around Dudley St - Hinckley Street, when New Meeting Street has always been and still is in the Moor St - High St area. Old Meeting St ran from Station Street to Dudley Street.

Alex's Pie stand (marked X) on the map later moved across Hinckley Street and down to the other end of the street behind the Crown. Dudley Street ran from Station Street to Smallbrook Street.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #320 on: January 13, 2017, 04:00:23 PM »
Bath Passage which ran from the junction of Pershore St and Smallbrook St and ran to Ladywell Walk pictured here having new sewerage pipes installed somewhere around the beginning of the last century. There are still parts of Bath Passage around today although I don't think they are marked on a map.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #321 on: January 13, 2017, 04:22:34 PM »
Here we have another passage that is still around today, Holliday Passage runs from Holliday Street to Commercial Street its an elevated walkway that used to run between Worcester Wharf & the Railway Goods sidings and was accessed up a flight of steps.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #322 on: January 13, 2017, 04:31:43 PM »
Another old passage that is still around today, Temple Passage. This passage starts and finishes in Temple Street. The photo comes from the excellent John Ball Collection.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #323 on: January 13, 2017, 04:44:38 PM »

As the street under discussion was Old Meeting Street this was obviously a typo on my part. We were also talking about the area around Dudley St - Hinckley Street, when New Meeting Street has always been and still is in the Moor St - High St area. Old Meeting St ran from Station Street to Dudley Street.

Alex's Pie stand (marked X) on the map later moved across Hinckley Street and down to the other end of the street behind the Crown. Dudley Street ran from Station Street to Smallbrook Street.

I wasn't being pedantic as I didn't even realise you had made a typing error, we all make them. Ive looked at the map now it makes it a lot clearer.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #324 on: January 15, 2017, 04:49:51 PM »
The Old Coach Yard, another back alley lost by the cutting of Corporation Street which ran from Bull Street to Lower Priory. This alley was once named Lower Minories and later again renamed Dalton Street. Mikejee cleverly deduced that it might have been renamed the Old Coach yard because of the coach service that ran to and from the Stork Hotel on Corporation St. The site plan shows the cutting of New Street and Dalton Street at the turn of the last Century.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jamesm

« Reply #325 on: January 15, 2017, 07:18:02 PM »

Might that have been Needless Alley rather than Cherry Street (on the left hand side as you headed down towards New Street)?   
ref to post. 279 Came across this thread today and found it fascinating. James Pass was there in Cherry Street in the 60s as in my teens I was dating a girl who worked there and went in on several occasions to see her.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #326 on: January 15, 2017, 07:55:58 PM »
Jamesm

Sorry I am unable find any named alley or passage of Cherry Street pre war or post war on the maps or in the trade directories. The thing is there were loads and loads of service passages all over the city that had no name, The main difference being that most of them only led to the rear of shops.

Interestingly number 48 Cherry Street is a premises called James Pass & Co Ltd Music Sellers.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

normansil

« Reply #327 on: January 15, 2017, 08:35:57 PM »
It was 1939 and I had just started the Central Grammar School and we were told that we needed to buy a recorder for music lessons and I had a note which referred to James Pass, somewhere near to Corporation Street. After searching for some time, unsuccessfully, to find James Passage, I asked a policeman for help. He looked in his little street directory and told me that there was no such place as James Passage and then directed me to James Pass in Cherry Street.   
Beorma - founder of Birmingham

jamesm

« Reply #328 on: January 16, 2017, 07:13:00 AM »
Jamesm

Sorry I am unable find any named alley or passage of Cherry Street pre war or post war on the maps or in the trade directories. The thing is there were loads and loads of service passages all over the city that had no name, The main difference being that most of them only led to the rear of shops.

Interestingly number 48 Cherry Street is a premises called James Pass & Co Ltd Music Sellers.
Perhaps I didn't make my comment clear. I was referring to the Music Shop O0

cocacolakid

« Reply #329 on: January 16, 2017, 10:44:55 AM »
Perhaps I didn't make my comment clear. I was referring to the Music Shop O0

The record shop that used to be in Cherry St (if that is what you are meaning)  was Reddingtons Rare Records, owned by Danny Reddington. The last I heard, was that he had moved to premises in Redditch, some years ago. I think he only sells records on line these days?  His shop was not in an ally in Cherry St, it was in Cherry St itself, On the l/h side as you go from  the Rackhams building.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy