Author Topic: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham  (Read 183077 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham
« Reply #352 on: February 23, 2017, 01:17:27 PM »
Practically every book I buy or read on he subject of old Birmingham carries this image. It is of Court 1 Great Brook Street Nechells better known as Ashted Place. It was located at the junction of Great Brook Street and Ashted Row. It was originally as it says a back court but in later years when it was opened up a little you could reach Belmont Row down the side of the old Chapel that later became a waste paper depot.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #353 on: February 25, 2017, 01:01:58 PM »
Henns Walk that ran from Dale End to Moor Street photo'd here before it was widened and made into a road. The later photo shows it later in years not long before it disappeared. completely.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #354 on: February 26, 2017, 03:53:23 PM »
The entrance of York passage which was on the High Street between Castle Street and Scotland Passage
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #355 on: February 26, 2017, 05:34:09 PM »
Phil in todays money where about would York passage be?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #356 on: February 27, 2017, 02:10:35 PM »
Today the entrance to York Passage would be between Levi's & Thornton's opposite what was once the Midland Arcade.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #357 on: February 27, 2017, 02:26:48 PM »
A terrace off Suffolk Street, which I only include because it looks as if it may have been a throughway at sometime earlier, but I can find no history of it being so. It was located where they built the Birmingham Municipal Technical College later the Central Technical College which opened in 1895 opposite Allport Street and between Swallow Street and Navigation Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #358 on: February 27, 2017, 07:26:37 PM »
Phil
I don't think it was ever a through street. Court 8 suffolk St is shown on the c1828 Pigott-Smith map, looking exactly the same as on the OS 1889 map, corresponding to the view shown here

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #359 on: February 27, 2017, 08:06:20 PM »
Mike

As I said I thought it only a possibility, so it stretched back to 1828 at least?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #360 on: February 27, 2017, 08:58:19 PM »
Yes

JudithM

« Reply #361 on: March 02, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »
I remember his last shop in Digbeth opposite the police station, I also remember him giving away records free. He piled the boxes outside the shop with a notice saying help yourself.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/reddingtons-rare-records-closing-good-7596476

It was a shame to see the end of Reddington's .  I used to spend a fortune in there back in the day.  The staff knew what music I was interested in & used to hold back items for me to look at first before they put them out!  It was even worse when they had the shop in the subway between Moor Street Station & M&S - I had to pass it twice a day on my way to & from work   ;D

It was nice to see that it made the BBC news as well as the locals when he finally ceased  trading -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-28776646

"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

JudithM

« Reply #362 on: March 02, 2017, 01:39:44 PM »
The Old Coach Yard, another back alley lost by the cutting of Corporation Street which ran from Bull Street to Lower Priory. This alley was once named Lower Minories and later again renamed Dalton Street. Mikejee cleverly deduced that it might have been renamed the Old Coach yard because of the coach service that ran to and from the Stork Hotel on Corporation St. The site plan shows the cutting of New Street and Dalton Street at the turn of the last Century.

If only I had a time machine to go back & visit these places  >:(
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy