Author Topic: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham  (Read 183053 times)

JudithM

Re: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham
« Reply #374 on: June 06, 2017, 01:36:02 PM »
Thank you again, Phil, reading those adverts makes the mind bogle. I rather fancy the idea of being waited upon by respectable and obliging Attendants.

:D
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #375 on: June 09, 2017, 03:28:57 PM »
Here's one I don't think we have done before, Albert Walk which runs from Harborne Park Road to Albert Road Harborne just before the High Street, between 1 & 2 on the map. There used to be a Antique shop on the Harborne Park Rd corner of it that my wife would never let me drive past without stopping for a look, thankfully she never saw anything she really fancied.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #376 on: June 13, 2017, 01:30:21 PM »
I know that passage well.  Had friends who used to live in the flats on War Lane and there was a Chinese takeaway by the Harborne Park Road end of the alley that was used on a regular basis when the one friend was pregnant - a persistant craving for lamb curry!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #377 on: June 15, 2017, 05:34:38 PM »
Judith

Do you remember the antique shop at the opposite end corner across the road fro the Kings Arms? My wife loved nosing around in there, it's a take away now I think.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #378 on: June 16, 2017, 01:30:14 PM »
Sorry, I don't remember it.  What year are we talking?  Maybe it'd gone by the time I was regularly there.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #379 on: June 16, 2017, 03:25:06 PM »
Judith

It would have been the early to mid 70's I suppose.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #380 on: June 17, 2017, 02:39:21 PM »
Suffolk Place which although much different today still runs from John Bright Street to Suffolk Street (Queensway). The first photo is from John Bright St to Suffolk St, the second Suffolk St to John Bright St.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #381 on: June 19, 2017, 01:02:07 PM »
I walk past that on my way to the bus after work on a regular basis.  As you say, much changed!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #382 on: June 23, 2017, 07:39:43 PM »
This is Union Row that runs off Grove Lane Handsworth, the church was the local congregational church that I believe has now been replaced by a Sikh Temple. Union Row runs through from Grove Lane to Stafford Rd
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #383 on: February 12, 2018, 10:42:50 PM »

Phil,

This has been a superb collection of alleyways, passages and narrow entries or lanes.  All of these places were fascinating, sometimes scary, but well worth recording here.

I have just come across this image of St Martin's Row, off Broad Street.  I see from the old A to Z that it connected with Cambridge Street.

Brian

This is definitely St Peters Passage , St Peters School and Church were behind the cameraman , I went to that school and walked up and down it for about 4 yrs
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #384 on: February 13, 2018, 10:36:34 AM »
Scipio

The problem with collecting photos from the web is that they are very often identified wrongly by the original poster, but in this case the original poster and 9teen48 who posted it to this forum have both gotten it right.

If you look at the map and photo I have posted you will see that the photo is of the same location taken from the other direction on Broad Street. If you then look at the map you will see that the passage to the right is indeed St Martins Place (not Row as stated by 9teen48) St Peters Place is to the left of Stratford House (the antique shop).
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy