Author Topic: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham  (Read 183049 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham
« Reply #407 on: February 15, 2018, 01:31:56 PM »
When I used to drink in the Beer Keller it was 48p a pint  ;D

Judith

that would equate to 72p (about 14/5d) for a pint and a half but that would have to have been after 1971 at least 7 years later.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #408 on: February 15, 2018, 08:25:16 PM »

When I used to drink in the Beer Keller it was 48p a pint  ;D

What year was that then Judith ?
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #409 on: February 15, 2018, 08:35:59 PM »

Judith

that would equate to 72p (about 14/5d) for a pint and a half but that would have to have been after 1971 at least 7 years later.

Phil your price equates to fifty two and halfp(10/6 ), how could it have been 0.48p years later
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #410 on: February 15, 2018, 08:37:35 PM »
Looking back through this thread I couldn't believe that although there were a couple of posts of Burlington Passage after it had been renovated and refurbished there were none of what it looked like prior to that So here are a couple taken from the Lower temple Street end c1960.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #411 on: February 15, 2018, 08:41:52 PM »

Phil your price equates to fifty two and halfp(10/6 ), how could it have been 0.48p years later

Scipio

Judith was paying 48p for a pint I was paying 52p for a pint and a half the nearest they could sell to a litre. I've no doubt that they would have dropped the price a bit later because I am talking about when it first opened and every time I went in there (not that often) it was empty.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #412 on: February 15, 2018, 10:34:09 PM »

I used to work in the Publicity department of Lewis's and the Stork Hotel was our homebase for our darts team. We played in a league that took us all over Brum.  :)

Dickybird I remember that shirt shop you mentioned
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #413 on: February 15, 2018, 10:54:32 PM »

Here we have another passage that is still around today, Holliday Passage runs from Holliday Street to Commercial Street its an elevated walkway that used to run between Worcester Wharf & the Railway Goods sidings and was accessed up a flight of steps.

You're a devil Phil that was one of those that I was looking for , I did mention on the forum sometime ago about going down those steps picture 2 on a bike with my family jewels well and truly caught up between the back two brake blocks . No long time damage done only to my ego
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #414 on: February 15, 2018, 11:22:32 PM »
Phil you turned up trumps with one of them that leaves two I haven't seen , first Checkers Walk leading off Granville St , I don't know if this qualifies as one but a little side road leading to Bath Row by the name of Communication Row it ran off the top of Holiday St(William Street end) and around to Bath Row there were about a dozen houses and a recreation ground for the kids there
Mark Twain

JudithM

« Reply #415 on: February 16, 2018, 01:49:44 PM »

What year was that then Judith ?
Would have been the late '80's until about '90.

48p for a pint of mild - and you got it in the big dimply glasses.  Not sure what the price for lager was.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #416 on: February 16, 2018, 03:18:34 PM »
Phil you turned up trumps with one of them that leaves two I haven't seen , first Checkers Walk leading off Granville St , I don't know if this qualifies as one but a little side road leading to Bath Row by the name of Communication Row it ran off the top of Holiday St(William Street end) and around to Bath Row there were about a dozen houses and a recreation ground for the kids there

Scipio

I know Communication Row well as I have used it several times to avoid traffic congestion years back, I remember it as a very narrow street.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #417 on: February 16, 2018, 03:25:38 PM »
A couple of more images of Burlington Passage, again one of the the view toward Lower Temple Street showing The Shakespeare public house opposite the end of the passage and the other looking up toward the New Street entrance with Austin Reed on the corner of Cannon Street just within view.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy