Author Topic: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham  (Read 183043 times)

Scipio

Re: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham
« Reply #418 on: February 16, 2018, 08:31:09 PM »

Scipio

I know Communication Row well as I have used it several times to avoid traffic congestion years back, I remember it as a very narrow street.

Phil picture two that factory or whatever works it is was never there when I was a kid , it was a recreation ground , swings , witches hat , see saw, and a roundabout.
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #419 on: February 16, 2018, 09:03:04 PM »

Phil picture two that factory or whatever works it is was never there when I was a kid , it was a recreation ground , swings , witches hat , see saw, and a roundabout.

To be quite honest I've always been a little dubious about that photo, to be honest the road looks a little too wide for me and the way I remember it parking on both sides would have been a no no certainly not opposite another car. The reason why I have not looked into it before is because I thought it might be the wide part of the street at the junction of William Street, but if that were so I think we would see the sharp right turn where the road narrowed up alongside the railway.

I'll try and find out a bit more about the photo, and I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #420 on: February 16, 2018, 09:58:45 PM »

To be quite honest I've always been a little dubious about that photo, to be honest the road looks a little too wide for me and the way I remember it parking on both sides would have been a no no certainly not opposite another car. The reason why I have not looked into it before is because I thought it might be the wide part of the street at the junction of William Street, but if that were so I think we would see the sharp right turn where the road narrowed up alongside the railway.

I'll try and find out a bit more about the photo, and I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

Phil as I remember it as a kid it only looked wide enough to take a single vehicle then . I could be wrong , it could be like the wagon wheel biscuits , they were always bigger as a kid
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #421 on: February 17, 2018, 11:37:36 AM »

Phil you have every right to be dubious , I lived in William St from 1955 . The second picture is dated 1956
as I said it wasn't there when I lived there I had to leave William St in 1969 due to demolition . After another piece of detective work
the information tells me that Charles Winn relocated from Communication Row in 1976 , Phil as you are familiar with this area  this company had a great big building on the corner of Commercial St and Granville St , I also think they had a smaller building in the lower part of Holiday St directly opposite the Birmingham public wks just before you reached the aquaduct . They may have moved from Granville St in 1976 but definitely not Communication Row because they were never there in the 14 yrs I was there. Something
don't ring true
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #422 on: February 17, 2018, 12:30:46 PM »
Scipio I concur with everything you say, I have had this photo since 2016  but I finally tracked down where I got it from,

https://www.search.birminghamimages.org.uk/details.aspx?ResourceID=8458&ExhibitionID=7328&PageIndex=157&SearchType=2&ThemeID=26

What I find strange is although it gives the same information as you do it does not mention the premises on Communication Row. I looked up Charles Winn & Co in the trade directory for 1956 and it only gives the addresses on Granville Street that you mention.

So either it was a temporary premises that didn't get recorded in the directory, but what you say from personal memory negates that. Or it's a screw up by the researcher who interviewed the lady of Italian descent that gets a mention on the web page I pointed to. The thing is if it's not Communication Row and it isn't Granville Street / Commercial Street or Granville Street / Holliday Street then where is it?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #423 on: February 17, 2018, 01:16:34 PM »
Scipio

I have put some feelers out on other sites to see what can be found out.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #424 on: February 17, 2018, 05:37:30 PM »
Scipio

A poster on another site solved it within a couple of hours of me posting the question. It was one of the Granville Street premises. The Commercial Street one I think. The photo can be seen here,

http://www.oldladywood.co.uk/commercialstreet.htm

so I have no idea where the Communication Row connection comes from. It just shows you should never believe what photos you find on the internet tell you unless you have confirmation or personal knowledge f what is being said.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #425 on: February 17, 2018, 06:19:50 PM »

Scipio

A poster on another site solved it within a couple of hours of me posting the question. It was one of the Granville Street premises. The Commercial Street one I think. The photo can be seen here,

http://www.oldladywood.co.uk/commercialstreet.htm

so I have no idea where the Communication Row connection comes from. It just shows you should never believe what photos you find on the internet tell you unless you have confirmation or personal knowledge f what is being said.

Well done Phil , I guessed you would get to the bottom of it , I won't bother you with this but the Century works pic , the sign just past the loo doesn't read Commercial St , the sign facing the cameraman I can accept it as reading Blucher St which was in the right location which would place it facing the Synagogue. Question is, is it Blucher St or Belcher St ? . Thanks for your work on this one Phil again well done
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #426 on: February 17, 2018, 07:22:01 PM »
Scipio

I didn't answer the question, I just asked someone else who was kind was kind enough to answer with the solution. As you say the other question would be better answered elsewhere at another time because it has little to do with the topic of this thread.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #427 on: February 17, 2018, 07:43:20 PM »

Scipio

I didn't answer the question, I just asked someone else who was kind was kind enough to answer with the solution. As you say the other question would be better answered elsewhere at another time because it has little to do with the topic of this thread.

Ok Phil understood
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #428 on: February 17, 2018, 08:12:06 PM »
Whilst we are in the area of Holloway Head, Bath Row here is another passage we have yet to highlight. Exeter Passage that ran from Exeter Road off Holloway Head to Ernest Road back onto Holloway Head.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy