Author Topic: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham  (Read 183073 times)

Scipio

Re: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham
« Reply #440 on: March 11, 2018, 09:26:32 PM »

Scipio

Another one in your neck of the woods, Cleve Terrace that ran from Wheelers Lane to Owen Street and disappeared mid sixties I think.

Phil I remember Wheeleys Lane , can't say I came across Cleve terrace , around 1964 I was around Bath Row a lot as I had a childhood sweetheart that lived there . I feel a bit peeved with you though Phil , I thought we'd explored the area totally as kids , but there is always the one got away 
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #441 on: March 12, 2018, 12:02:23 AM »
Scipio

I'm just as bad as you, if you walked out of the front door of the accident A & E which I did enough times in my teens then it was right in front of you. I never noticed it either.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #442 on: March 12, 2018, 10:53:09 AM »

Scipio

I'm just as bad as you, if you walked out of the front door of the accident A & E which I did enough times in my teens then it was right in front of you. I never noticed it either.

Phil there's none so blind as them that don't want to see
Mark Twain

Empty

« Reply #443 on: April 03, 2018, 12:49:31 PM »
Hi Phil! Loving these pictures.The bridge above Burlington Passage, with its windows open is part of the Midland Hotel, now the Burlington and is still there, connecting the two sides of the hotel.

townie

« Reply #444 on: September 03, 2018, 10:23:06 PM »
I found this ally don't think its been brought up before, if so my apologies. It was called Button Ally it had 4 houses but I have no idea where about in the city it was located.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #445 on: September 04, 2018, 11:30:12 PM »
Hi Townie welcome  welcome back
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Scipio

« Reply #446 on: September 05, 2018, 09:36:08 AM »
I found this ally don't think its been brought up before, if so my apologies. It was called Button Ally it had 4 houses but I have no idea where about in the city it was located.   

Townie I've just being looking at a map of Brum dated  1750, Button Alley is mentioned on there but you need a magnifying glass to
locate it
Mark Twain

JudithM

« Reply #447 on: September 05, 2018, 01:23:16 PM »

Townie I've just being looking at a map of Brum dated  1750, Button Alley is mentioned on there but you need a magnifying glass to
locate it

Where abouts in Birmingham was it?
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Scipio

« Reply #448 on: September 05, 2018, 08:59:54 PM »
Where abouts in Birmingham was it?

My apologies Judith for the delay , the map I looked at this morning was compiled by Samuel Bradford in 1750 . Button Alley is listed on the map as are a lot of others , this map covers an area stretching from Deritend up across the city and over Snow Hill heading for Summer Lane . I do hope you find it , I can read a lot of the street names but there are some hard to decipher , good luck . If it's any help search Button Alley Birmingham 
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #449 on: September 05, 2018, 10:31:21 PM »
must get my old maps out tomorrow john unless mike can provide one for us...never heard of button alley..new one to me

lyn

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #450 on: September 05, 2018, 10:48:20 PM »
Lyn

If you look elsewhere, on a thread with a name very similar to this you will see that Dennis Williams pinpoints Button Alley. He says that Showells Dictionary of Birmingham says it was the forerunner of Masshouse Lane. Though on a map he saw it was marked as an alley running between Masshouse Lane and Chapel Street.

He didn't post an image of the map and he didn't give it a name or date, I will ask him about it next time I speak to him. In the meantime this map shows the alley in question running in between the two names streets (I think).
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy