Author Topic: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham  (Read 183069 times)

astoness

Re: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham
« Reply #451 on: September 05, 2018, 10:58:42 PM »
i can see chapel st and masshouse lane phil and a timber yard marked but cant see button alley..mind you i do have an eye test next week ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #452 on: September 05, 2018, 11:06:36 PM »
Lyn

That's why I said I would ask Dennis the next time I have chance to ask him, It's not named on the map I posted.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #453 on: September 05, 2018, 11:25:00 PM »
Lyn This is the reference in Showell

https://archive.org/stream/showellsdictiona00harm#page/192/search/button+alley

And below is a much later map that shows the street that I indicated as Bishop Street, but I see nothing about Button Street being a forerunner of Masshouse Lane. I must have a word with Dennis.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #454 on: September 06, 2018, 12:11:36 AM »
Here is that part of the Bradford map that marks button alley

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #455 on: September 06, 2018, 09:39:36 AM »
Mike

Is that in the Paul Leslie Lane book Birmingham a History in Maps because I couldn't find it?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #456 on: September 06, 2018, 05:36:42 PM »
It took a time to get here but thanks to Dennis Williams for pinpointing Button Alley. Pity he's not been active on the forum for 2 years but lets hope he makes a come back with other interesting history of Birmingham. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

mikejee

« Reply #457 on: September 07, 2018, 08:37:24 AM »
Phil
It was fromthenow defunct Mapseeker site, the owner of which published thenbook. Not all maps on the site went into the book

Old South Yardley76

« Reply #458 on: December 14, 2018, 07:35:33 PM »
sorry i tried to upload a pic following the advice but it wont let me post it. Idk why uploading a simple pic has to be so complicated or literally impossible. Bizarre, but maybe its me..... :(

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #459 on: December 14, 2018, 09:44:37 PM »
Michael

Loading photos to this forum isn't complicated, they just have to be less than 80kb in size, so your photo was probably too big to be uploaded.

You can either reduce the size of the image you want to upload or try the method outlined here,

http://www.tinypic.com/
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

levens

« Reply #460 on: December 28, 2018, 05:17:00 PM »
hummm My dad once said he worked on the refurbishment of the Burlington arcade...

Steve Mccabe

« Reply #461 on: January 01, 2019, 06:16:07 PM »
Just been looking through the posts to this thread. Some really excellent accompanying photos. It’s amazing to think that the modern Birmingham still has a few hidden gems that, with a bit of effort, you can discover. Trying to work out where the alleyways used to be and how they related to present-day Birmingham requires a bit of skill and the maps certainly show how much has altered. [/font][/color]
Sadly, as everyone will have heard far too many times, the 'old' Birmingham is gone. I grew up here during the 1960s and 1970s and it was a wonderful place. As has been suggested, I wish I had taken pictures of what I saw and, in my youth, been a bit more inquisitive; one of my biggest regrets is that I would have been old enough to see the wonderful Snow Hill and hotel before they were was swept away in the early 70s. The modern station and car park above together with the surrounding office blocks are simply dreadful.[/font][/color]
Happy 2019 to everyone.[/font][/color]
Steve[/font][/color]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy