Author Topic: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham  (Read 183037 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham
« Reply #462 on: January 01, 2019, 06:37:12 PM »
Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum, it's true that most of the "old Birmingham" has gone, but there are still a few treasures about and thankfully some are being restored, but regretfully and to Birmingham's shame some are just being left to fall down in their own time.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #463 on: January 28, 2019, 02:47:36 PM »
I've already posted one image of this passage from the Worcester Street end back in 2010, but this one is from the High Street end, it's Swan Passage off the top end of the Bull Ring and would have been where the Rotunda is now.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Empson

« Reply #464 on: February 07, 2019, 04:02:07 PM »
While not an alleyway as such but seeing some of the pics I have a query.
Perhaps Phil or some one else with a huge route into ancient Brum
My ancestors came out of Shropshire into Tipton and eventually lived in Swallow Street. This would have been in the 2nd half of the 19th century.
The only Swallow Street that seems to fit ran alongside what was in my youth, the old market hall 1940s/ 50s. Can anyone confirm that there were dwellings along thar street at any time?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #465 on: February 07, 2019, 07:24:30 PM »
Empson

The only Swallow Street I can find from the 1800's up to current times was the one that ran from Hill Street to Suffolk Street and had the Golden Eagle public house on the Hill Street corner.

The two photos I post here are one from the Hill Street end in the 1950'a and the other (colour) from the Suffolk Street end shows a couple of houses at that end.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #466 on: February 07, 2019, 08:26:30 PM »
Empson. I'm sure I posted a photo of the houses in Swallow Street somewhere. Somewhere I have a copy of all the streets, and the number of occupants in each house I will have to find it out.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

mikejee

« Reply #467 on: February 07, 2019, 10:46:10 PM »
This map shows that in c1889 there were two courts in swallow St

mikejee

« Reply #468 on: February 07, 2019, 10:48:25 PM »
And here are the inhabitants on th electoral roll in 1912 (the earliest date where this is online)

townie

« Reply #469 on: February 07, 2019, 11:04:00 PM »
I don't know how you done it, amazing but reply 466 was just about to do the same.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #470 on: March 08, 2019, 09:31:08 AM »
Crick Lane Handsworth runs from Rose Hill Road bt King Edwards Grammar School across Broughton Road, Holly Lane (see b & w photo) and ends at Hamstead Road (see modern map). It has been around since the early 1700's when it used to be the access lane to Crick farm, but now it mostly serves as garage & rear access to all the properties that have been built over the last 300 years (see modern image).
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Cookieboy

« Reply #471 on: September 29, 2019, 09:23:07 AM »
A couple of MikeJee's brilliant photos that show Alliance Place that ran from the bottom of Pearson St down to Mary St.

Lolly,  as you will see with the buildings on the other side of the Alley demolished Harry Monty's was a lot more open to view from Mary St.

I do hope your mother was not one of the girls I used to chase in the early 60's at knocking off time.

Phil

I used to live at 3 Alliance Place and we used to to play cricket against the loading bay of Harry Montys, chalking the wickets and bails on the wall. We left Alliance Place in 1959

davidsinbin

« Reply #472 on: December 16, 2019, 04:20:00 PM »
I rarely get time to log in to this wonderful site but seeing the photo od Christchurch Passage prompted me to ask, "Does anyone know the name of the old gents outfitters located half-way down those old stone steps? Its been several decades since I used to take those steps and for some reason, I never found time to open the door to said outfitters and yet I often wondered at the inside! I asked someone recently about the shop's name and he quoted "Dunnes"  but I doubted that because, as I remember, Dunnes was a large store in New St which was overlooked by Lewiss (? is that correct?) Having said that, I was thinking it may have been Dunns, as opposed to the Irish store of Dunnes. Its purely curiosity on my part but it has lain with me for such a lonnnnggg time. My brother is also one that has this query almost haunting him.We really should have opened that door lol. ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy