Author Topic: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham  (Read 183024 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Passages and Alleyways of Birmingham
« Reply #473 on: December 17, 2019, 08:31:04 AM »
David

AS there were only three shops in Christchurch Passage, I would think the shop you are talking about was David Wormington Shirtmaker at number 10 Christchurch passage which previously was a cafe.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

davidsinbin

« Reply #474 on: December 17, 2019, 02:33:25 PM »
Hi Phil.Many thanks for the info, it will satisfy quite a few in Facebook who had asked the initial question about that particular walk-way, Christchurch Passage, including the bloke who inserted the photo on our site," BirminghamUK The Street Where I Lived". The only thing that stopped me from opening that door (to David Wormington Shirt Shop) was the prices!

Have a cracking Christmas...hopefully devoid of all the chat about the next lot of ruddy Brexit, lol.

Rose10

« Reply #475 on: February 19, 2020, 08:19:15 PM »
thank you and great to see a photo of Smithfield Passage.  My 2nd Great Grandfather lived at 11 Smithfield Passage in 1861. 

Christine Yarnold

« Reply #476 on: October 03, 2021, 07:51:16 PM »
Hi Michael

Welcome to the forum, Suffields Bar Union Passage the section between Martineau St and Union St manageress 1949 Miss Fanny Gaunt. No photo I'm afraid unless it is among the one of Union Passage that I have already posted.

Phil

Fanny Gaunt was my grandmother. She was certainly at The Golden Eagle in 1948 as my baptismal party was held there in October 1948. When I was 3 she had moved to Suffields Bar but don’t know exactly when she moved there. She had also managed The Nelson on Bull Street and was in the pub when it was hit by a German bomb!! 

mscale

« Reply #477 on: February 09, 2023, 01:22:59 AM »
Refering to the 1864 photo of Union Passage posted by Phil, I think the building on the right with the stonework may be the Birmingham Penny Bank, which was constructed in Union Passage in 1854 and located close to the railway tunnel. Though the angle is oblique, it still looks very like the drawing of the bank that appears on the example of a bank passbook held by the Library of Birmingham (which I'm not posting as I don't have permission). The penny bank operated from 1851 to 1865.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #478 on: February 09, 2023, 09:09:05 AM »
hi mscale   welcome to the forum and thank you for the update roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

rosalita

« Reply #479 on: March 29, 2023, 08:53:26 AM »
These pictures are fabulous. I am so
enjoying looking at them.

chascox78

« Reply #480 on: May 31, 2023, 09:08:41 PM »
Phil and Judith

The antique shop at the King's Arms end of Albert Walk was run by two youngish guys who had started up as Old Times on Greenfield Road, Harborne c.1972/3 (just along on the left passed Durrant's).  They were also involved with a short-lived Antiques Market on North Road, Harborne around the same time.   I think one of them went off to Australia.

Chas

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy