Author Topic: canal people. and canals  (Read 29992 times)

john2000

Re: canal people. and canals
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 09:49:19 PM »
For a very short time I worked for the British waterways, ( 3 months), but in that time I did a lot of building maintenance ( repairs to the lock keepers houses,), I made a friend of a carpenter who's job was making and repairing the locks, he had been doing it for years, and he knew his job, but sadly one day while working on a gate, it slipped off its hinges and fell on him, I never saw him again, but he used to live around the corner of the tax office in Broad St, there was one lockkeeper who was very nice his misses would bring me cups of tea when I was doing repairs to their place, ( must have been around 1968/69, ), I liked the job, but the salary was nothing, hence the 3 months only..then I moved on..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 10:01:17 PM »
I know very little about our canal system or it's architecture, but on looking I have to admit that Galton Bridge at Smethwick is a fine looking construction.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 11:03:31 PM »
Canals

guilbert53

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 08:43:20 PM »
I know very little about our canal system or it's architecture, but on looking I have to admit that Galton Bridge at Smethwick is a fine looking construction. Phil

If you have never walked the Galton Valley it is an amazing walk. Because the canals run virtually side by side you can do a walk out on one canal, and come back on the other canal.

Start in the south east of the valley and walk north westward, then near the motorway turn round and come back on the other canal.

The valley is a nature wilderness, trees and bushes everywhere. As you walk it is hard to imagine it was a man made valley (or that you are in the middle of Birmingham).

There is one place on the walk where the old canal goes over the top of the new canal, a canal going over a canal.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 08:52:51 PM »
guilbert53

I walked plenty of canals and rivers when I was a kid, it's what kids did in those days, even though they were off limits to us and fenced off. I could never understand why, because the fences didn't take much climbing.

But as it has been said so many times, youngsters take precious little notice of architecture unless it is worth climbing.

So apart from a further brief interest in fishing the canals at Yardley Wood and Solihull you have my entire experience of canals laid in front of you.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 06:10:14 PM »
A lovely canal scene at Yardley Wood

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 07:49:09 PM »
I took this photo earlier this year for some one who wanted it. It's taken from the Lincoln Rd road bridge at Acocks Green and it's the Grand Union Canal I believe.

I think that's a barge in the distance that it is showing, but what pleases me the most is the fishermen. For years our most of our canals became virtually unfishable so its good to see the fishermen returning.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 08:38:02 PM »
This is a photograph I took in November 2006 showing the Worcester and Birmingham canal where it passes under Wharf Road, Kings Norton. Apart from the benefits for fishermen, the canal towpaths provide a great amenity for walkers and a pleasant escape from the bustle on our suburban roads.

Brian

guilbert53

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 06:05:36 PM »
I took this photo earlier this year for some one who wanted it. It's taken from the Lincoln Rd road bridge at Acocks Green and it's the Grand Union Canal I believe.

It is indeed the Grand Union. Travel (or walk) South on it and it goes all the way to London.

The longest single canal in Britain.

9teen48

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 08:38:39 PM »
A couple of old postcard views of Birmingham canal locations.

john2000

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 10:25:27 PM »
The photo of the old buildings of the the old wharf, I hope they hav'nt pulled them down..? :(
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy