Author Topic: canal people. and canals  (Read 30000 times)

tramp

Re: canal people. and canals
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 02:34:05 AM »
Phil,

The (partial) fencing in of canals began in the early 50s after many lads had drowned year on year - the brother of a boy in our class at Clifton Rd was one as Fred can confirm - it wasn't a success so the Council sponsored a competition in schools to invent a slogan and or design a poster - the resulting campaign was centred on "CANALS ARE WATERWAYS NOT PLAY WAYS'', and this was more effective.  Probably because it emphasised the dangers of canals rather than trying to prohibit boys from them altogether - that was always going to be open invitation to most lads.

tramp

oznow

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 09:29:52 AM »
There was always something  fascinating and dangerous about playing by the canals and climbing over the locks, It was always the rebels from school and I was one of them who it attracted.

It was an adventure like a jungle movie from the Sat: morning maternee ...You felt you could be 'Jungle Jim' for a while.

I live on a big canal here but it does not have the same feel of adventure or history but water is always relaxing to be near and I miss the canals of Brum.

O0 .

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 09:59:11 AM »
kids and cuts are like bread and butter they just go together  us kids made a boat  out of wood and canvas and we took it to the cut in smallheath  anderton road end after getting over the wall and down the bank we got it on the cut it held five of  us it was hard going to paddle the thing but it went well and we made our way up the cut past the b.s.a heading up to the dustbin yard at the back of Waverly road
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 11:57:58 AM »
The photo of the old buildings of the the old wharf, I hope they hav'nt pulled them down..? :(

John

The Fellows, Morton & Clayton buildings are still there. In fact I think they may be listed now. I know that other buildings in Fazeley Street are. Here is a rather bad photo of the front of the warehouse on Fazeley St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 07:45:48 PM »
Another view of Fellows Morton & Clayton's Wharf. It look like it being used at this time for a depot for pleasure cruises or barge hire or something similar.

Anybody have any memories of that sort of business taking place there?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 08:54:37 PM »
Here is a mid-1970s view of the Broad Street tunnel, Gas Street Basin

9teen48

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2009, 06:10:02 PM »
The photo of the old buildings of the the old wharf, I hope they hav'nt pulled them down..? :(
Hello John2000,

The Old Wharf canal offices were closed in 1926 and the site they occupied opposite the end of Paradise Street is where the Alpha Tower now stands. I've added another version of the same postcard which may be a bit clearer.

Brian

9teen48

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 05:03:17 PM »
This is one of my favourite canal scenes.  The canal wharf at the Breedon Cross around 1906. 

This is where the Worcester & Birmingham canal passed underneath Pershore Road at Lifford Lane.  The canal towpath is adjacent to the Midland Railway sidings, reached by a line which ran parallel to the canal from Bournville.

Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 05:46:57 PM »
The Old Anchor Inn on the Grand Union Canal at Wharf Lane Solihull. It used to be quite close to Solihull Gas works which later became a depot for British Gas. Now even that has been replaced by a new housing estate.

I got lost down there just before Christmas looking for a road that is not on the map yet. A friend has just bought a house and moved in.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 04:13:20 PM »
Farmers Bridge canal locks, which I believe are in Newhall St. Are these the ones that they had a viewing gallery in the Science Museum for.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 11:43:58 AM »
A couple more shots of around the Gas St basin area, before the developers moved in.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy